Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prior military guys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Apr 6, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I am getting the big shaft at work, i voulunteered to take over a program at work, I was the LPO,(supervisior) well theu guys under me screwed up pretty bad and i got caught up in it, and now after waiting 3 years to finally take my 1st class test(e-6) i just got busted down to e-4. im pretty pissed about it, but there isent really anything i can do. What im wondering is, they gave me the option to kick me out, admin sep. or dishonorable discharge, not shure wich. I am really tempted to take them up on it, i am just done with this crap, i hate having to take the fall for other peoples screw-ups.

So my question is; how will this affect me out in the 'real world". You hear alot about not being able to get any jobs, and all that but i want to know how much is actually true, and what is bogus.
    thanks for any help,
    dale

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

You definetly don't want a dishonorable on your record. How much time do you have on your enlistment? I don't know what happened, but in the Air Force it has to be pretty severe to get busted down in rank. If you can get a general discharge then that will not look bad on your record. I would wait it out and see if things cool off. I have a few friends who got busted down in rank and were great troops, just made a wrong decision somewhere. Most don't ever recover from the loss of a stripe and start to get bitter with the military and eventually get out.

I do understand how it gets old and you are responsible for other people, but as an NCO those are some of the responsibilities you take :(

Wait it out a few months and see if you still want to get out. Just my .02

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Well i have wanted to get out for along time, this is just the straw that broke the camels back. I hate babysitting people, and evan more when thire f-ups cost me money.
    It had to do with Secret material accountability, so ya it was pretty serious.

Im just tired of it all, and right now 3 more years seems like a really really long time, im tired of giving all this time out of my life and not getting anything for it.

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

They can't give you a dishonorable discharge for that.. It would be an admin. They will have to hold a board to determine the severity of the discharge. Remember an oth is also an admin discharge, but at it's most severe.

I'm pretty good with navy law stuff. pm me offline if you wanna talk.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

PM sent

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

good luck either way. i got a bull**** dwi going into the main gate at camp pendleton with 3 months left in my enlistment. i blew like a .065 or something and they still gave me ****. i was up for sgt. (e-5 int he corps) that week too. its tough enough to make e-4 in 4 years in the marines, but e-5 i was pretty proud abou it. well, col took away my promotion, 2 months restriction, and loss of pay. i was pretty devistaded. at least i was able to stay a cpl. hang in there man. go get your e-5 back, and then go higher from there

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Let's see, you just turned 25 and you will still be an E-4. Not terrible. In the AF it take 3 years to make e4, possibly 6 months sooner. I'm guessing you haven't been in longer than maybe 6 or 7 years. I would say just deal with it and continue on if they let you stay in. E4 is not the end of the road and you still make a lot more than any minimum wage job out there

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I did 8 years for the Army. 4 years active from '97-'01 and 4 years inactive from '01-'05. I just got this in the mail today-
    [​IMG]

I had two Article 15's and was busted down in rank once during my time in. After basic training it took me less than 3 months of misery to decide I had made a mistake in joing...I hated it. For all the same reasons you hate it now. I would have made it to E-5 if I hadn't gotten busted down. I did get promoted again and gain my rank back though. Anyways, seeing this certificate made all the misery worth it. I'm not trying to sway your decision, just givin ya some food for thought. It feels really really good to see the "Honorable Discharge" on the certificate.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

The thing is, i have to wait 1year to be able to take the e-5 test again, than another 6 months to get paid for it, and thats If i make it off the test, our rate has been closing up lateley, so if im going to be a e-4 for the next 2 years out of three, might as well get out early if i can.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I was in a combat MOS in the Army...promotions came fairly fast compared to other MOS's and the different branch's. I made E-4 before 2 years, got busted to E-3 then was back at E-4 within a year. Guess it's different for the Air Force. Sloooow promotions. Think about getting that certificate in the mail though...its a good feeling.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Ya but gettin some semblance of a normal life back would be a good feeling too. Also having controll of my own life back in my hands is a nice thought

12. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Anything other than an honorable discharge may raise questions. I got out with an honorable, but explaining why I got out as an E-1 after four years is always a tough one. I made E-2, E-3, E-4, E-1, E-2, E-1 in four years. Me likey drinkee back then.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

This is what i am really worried about, i wont do it if it is going to mess up any chance i have at getting a good job after i get out.

14. andrew.wilson

andrew.wilson Registered Member

If you have to many problems see about transfering your last three years to a reserve component or a national guard unit close by. I am in the army national guard as of right now and they gave me a civilian job as a federal tech. Just some more food for that. But just know that one weekend a month two weeks a year is a line of bull how ever you are home alot more then being active duty.

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'll give you a perspective from someone who has a lot of military friends and family and who works in an environment that requires a background check. Firefighter184 is right, anything but an honorable discharge is going to potentially restrict some jobs you might want in the future. I'd do whatever it takes to finish your commitment and leave honorably. I will also say that not doing military service is one of the biggest regrets of my life. If I had to go back and do it again, I would've probably went active service for a period of years, and then done reserve. My father fought in WW2 and my father-in-law was career Army.

I have also experienced times in my career when I've gotten a good administrative ass kicking. If you can tough out the crappy times, good times eventually come back. I'd say hang in there. Many times people above you watch closely to how you react to discipline. The easy way, and probably the most common reaction amongst those with lesser intestinal fortitude, is to become bitter and non-productive. However, the better man gets over it and becomes the better for it. Even when it is isn't neccessarily deserved. The brass remembers a guy who does the classic "thank you sir, may I have another" over the sniveler. It can be a character builder, or a black cloud, it all depends on you. I am a supervisor and I occasionally have to slap a wrist or two. I watch very carefully how they react to a tune up to see whether or not they learn from it, or whether they are going to use it as an excuse not to perform.

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Right now, getting out might look good to you. But, a few years down the road, that HD will be something you will be very proud of. All us prior service had to deal with BS on one scale or another. When I got my first Good Conduct award in the Corps, the CO looked me right in the eye, and said "One of these days I will catch you"!!!! Yeah, I got busted, but worked my way out of it. Carrying a security clearance is a pain , but it sure looks good on a job resume-specially to a DOD contractor. Being an E4 is tough, they expect the lower ranks to respect and obey you, but you are treated only marginally better than an E1. You're gonna do what you want, regardless of what anyone says-just make sure you are thinking and not reacting when you make your decision. Good Luck Buddy.

17. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I would wait it out too see if things will change. The biggest thing is that you don't want the RE-4 code on your DD-214 if you do decide to take the discharge path. You DC would either be OTH or Admin. Admin would be ok but a future employer might see the RE-4 as a bad thing.

18. hatchetjack

hatchetjack Registered Member

I did 21 years in the AF, and had some occasion to be personally involved on three occasions with the type of things you describe, in fact one was probably for exactly the same type of infraction involving classified documents.

While i'm not the one that made the errors, i was the supervisor (direct) of one, the investigating official on the second, and a bystander to the third (which actually involved time at Mannheim for the offender). Each of them was going to get out, especially the young man that spent time in Mannheim.
    I had him come to work for me, and finish his original commitment. He got out and wrote me a few years later that he was very glad he finished his commitment, because he now had a good discharge, and a good job.
    One of the others e-mailed me the other day that he had recently sewn-on his E-8 stripes, and looking forward to testing for E-9.
    The third spent his time, got out at eight, and has a good job and a good life.

I work for a flatbed trucking company (Equipment and Fuel Manager), and can tell you that we look hard at military history of potential employees. We know that its essentially pretty easy to get an honorable, and anyone that comes to us with anything other than honorable is screened very hard.
    Spend your remaining time, get the best out of it that you can, and move on.

And, get the best education that you possibly can. We don't even hire dispatchers (and i live in the south, where its supposed to be easy) unless they have at least a BA.

19. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Thanks alot for all the replies, lotts to think about, I have pretty much setteled on wait it out for at leat a year (i have a year left here till i have to PCS) and get my degree finished, and ill take it from there i guess

Thanks again for all the help guy's :)
    Dale