Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Privacy Glass...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by burbanfanatic, Jul 29, 2004.

1. burbanfanatic

burbanfanatic Registered Member

Hello,

Does anybody know what % tint 1989-1991 Suburban privacy glass from the factory is? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif 10% 20% ?? I'm tinting mine and I want it to look stock. They seem darker than newer Suburbans which are 20%... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif Thanks a trillion in advance!

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's about 5%. I tinted all of my windows and watch out for the factory laminated glass, it can't be removed like normal film. I actually have one side laminated factory tint and one side aftermarket film tint on the other on my top and I can't hardly tell a difference.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Like he said they are 5% and if done correctly it's hard to tell the differance between the factory and newly tinted glass. I had my rear slider done like that when my Burb had the tailgate and you couldn't see a difference from outside, but inside it was slightly noticable.
    If you ever get a chance I'd get the factory laminated windows though, they are a heck of a lot tuffer than the clear glass ones.

4. burbanfanatic

burbanfanatic Registered Member

Thanks a lot guys. Anyone else with info is more than welcome to post too! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Only my rear 4 ft windows were tinted. They were tinted bronze. Did all those years come in Bronze tint only? Not regular smoke?

Anyways, the tinting place no longer sells 10 or 5% bronze tint and doesn't think it is available anymore either. So they tinted the rest of my windows at 20%. So I have 3 different tints! 35 infront, 5 or 10% on the 4ft windows, and 20% on all the rest.

The best they could offer was to give it another layer of 20% on top of the current 20% to equal about 7% after the math was calculated. It would be an additional $90-100 in addition to the already $260 /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I think I might just go for that.

Is it really hard to see at night with the 5% tint?

Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I drive Lincoln Town Cars with 5% tint on the rear door windows and the back window. At night, it's difficult to see things that don't have lights on or near them. Might be easier through a bigger window on a 'Burb or K5 though...