Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Privacy issues with pass employeer, info in the trash

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Jul 2, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, here’s the deal... My buddy calls me starts rattling off all this personal info /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Social Sec #, past employer info, background checks, car insurance, on and on and on. SO I Bite, what are you doing? He says I went to pick up the boat this weekend (Hi-jacking my own thread for back ground info.... Buddies father-in-law owns a building that this place rented, he mentioned they where going out of business and throwing a lot of stuff away when he went to pickup his boat stored at same said buildings barn)

OK back on track...
    This *past employer* tossed all the files and paper work in the dumpster outside the building /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Over 100 employees info is sitting in a open dumpster /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Anyhow, my buddy jumps in finds his and mine and several others that worked there.
    OK, what legal actions can be taken? He's calling the police in morning, but there HAS TO BE some sort of personal privacy thing there? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

--edit added--
    There is medical info, insurance claims, personal drug screens, job applications, letter of resignation, photocopies of drivers licences and soc cards, etc
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifAlot of personal stuff here! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Toss a lit Flare in the dumpster? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Seriously, there should be something Legal to get this guy on, check with an attorney. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Might check with an attorney, but as far as I know, unless the employer signed something specific, there are no laws about that. When I was doing investigative work, trash was always a good (and common) source of info.

However, the guy who picked it out of the trash could get in trouble (if it could be proven - probably not at this point) as the trash still legally belongs to the employer or landlord until it is put out on the street (it's fair game then - or was back in the day).

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

That really sucks man. Unfortunately, you can't inforce intelligence. I would be over there waving that stuff in his face and asking him why he didn't use a shreader... Is HIS stuff in there? Maybe you should look for it...

5. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There are new laws in effect regarding the use of medical information. It is very strict in how you can use it and/or dispose of it and throwing information in a dumpster is NOT one of the options. There are heavy heavy fines possible for not following the letter of the law. I'll stop by my office today and see if I can find you some numbers to call. What type of office/workplace was this might I ask?

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Docgab, those are the new HIPAA laws. I believe that the medical info in that law only pertains to the medical industry (doctors, hospitals, etc.) Under the new law, if medical information is allowed to be seen by non medical personnel, like a consultant to a hospital or something, they are required to sign non disclosure documents. However, that is just now starting to happen.

If someone with access to a person's medical record outside of the medical workplace acquires that info under the new HIPAA regs, the medical facility will be held responsible.

That all went into place April 14th. Security of computer transmission of claims to insurance payors must be completed by Oct. 10th.

In any event, I don't believe that HIPAA will apply in this case.

7. docgab

Yup, HIPPA it is. You definitely have the skinny on this. Perhaps I should be giving you a call to check for my compliance!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Anywho, I would still make the call to the appropriate people just to check. Worst they can do is say they can't help.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would still make the call to the appropriate people just to check. Worst they can do is say they can't help.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, 'tis true.

I have some private practice medical clients and have had to keep up with the whole HIPAA mess, as much as anyone can keep up on it anyway without wanting to get a frontal lobectomy.

So, you're a chiro, eh? I have a neck that would love to live on one of your tables. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. docgab

[ QUOTE ]

Yep, 'tis true.

I have some private practice medical clients and have had to keep up with the whole HIPAA mess, as much as anyone can keep up on it anyway without wanting to get a frontal lobectomy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, it is a pain though isn't it?? I am pretty much on top of things finally until the next deadline comes along that is! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]

So, you're a chiro, eh? I have a neck that would love to live on one of your tables. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet another reason for some sort of run up here near Sac at our own beautiful Greenhorn. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif People could be wrenching on their trucks and I could be wrenching on people's necks!! lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Why is there a need for Chiropratictors in Sacramento? I heard there are nothing but rubbernecks up there... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    photocopies of drivers licences and soc cards, etc

[/ QUOTE ] You could sell that info too some illeagle mexicans. Just kidding. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'd be alittle pissed too. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    People could be wrenching on their trucks and I could be wrenching on people's necks!! lol

[/ QUOTE ]
    Great idea! Well, maybe except for you! Everyone plays, you work /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. docgab

Ouch!! Hey now, I resemble that remark!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif