Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pro Comp add-a-leafs......anyone used them??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, May 3, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I just got my 6" lift from 4 Wheel Parts and it consisted of 6" front springs and 4" block with add-a-leafs for the rear. How hard is it to put the add-a-leaf in and what all do I have to do to the spring to get it in?? I held the leaf up next to the spring and the C-clamps look like I don't have to mess with them, and the leaf is longer than the straight helper, but shorter than the next spring up. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, because I'm concerned??

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

2. kermit

kermit Registered Member

Installing add-a-leafs is pretty simple and straightforward, but it does take time. I put a set of Warn add-a-leafs in my front spring packs a few weeks ago....with two people working, it took about 5 hours -- most of that was spent prepping the spring packs after they came out.

If you would like a complete write up of what's involved, let me know and I'll bang one out for you.

Len

half Chevy + half Jeep = Cheep!

3. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

what did you do for spring prep? I'm going to be taking apart my spring pack and POR-15ing them after I get the rust off and smooth it out. Did you replace the teflon (or plastic) wear thingies? If so how did you do it and where did you get the material. I want to put the teflon in. Thanks

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

4. kermit

kermit Registered Member

When we re-assembled the spring packs, we left out one of the shorter springs (number 5 in a six spring pack) and added a full length add-a-leaf. Not re-installing that spring left me with enough unbroken plastic wear thingies that I just reused them.

As far as spring prep goes, we used a wire brush and a grinder to remove all of the accumulated gunk from the springsg and to smooth out all of the sliding surfaces. Remember to use a very light touch with the grinder and never grind in the same place too long or you'll build up heat and remove the temper from the springs.

After the individual springs were clean and mirror polished on the sliding surfaces, we coated them all with white lithium grease (used a full pound of grease on two spring packs) and reassembled the packs.

I didn't use any of the teflon inserts, but they sound like a good idea. The grease in mine will attract dirt and eventually clog up, so from now on I have an annual "spring cleaning" planned (wow....bad joke).

I did a mild class 4 run the week after the new packs went in and was very pleasantly surprised with the increased articulation and smoothness of travel.

Len

half Chevy + half Jeep = Cheep!

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Take a look at the leading edges of the springs. If they are sharp cut then you can round them off with a grinder to help them flex a little better. Teflon inserts are another cheap and easy thing to do while you've got them apart. I even read somewhere the guy took and covered each leaf in some kind of teflon coating to help the work.

Just a couple of thoughts

Kyle
    89K5

6. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Where do I get teflon inserts or pads??

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Any parts store should have them.