Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pro comp suspension Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91 full size jimmy, Mar 25, 2006.

1. 91 full size jimmy

91 full size jimmy Registered Member

I am looken at buying a 4" pro comp lift kit and i was wondering if all of us K5ers had any thing to say about them. the kit # is K1020

2. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

I had one on mine and they only thing thats left of it is the right front spring and just because i havent done the 52's over there yet. all and all its ok it dosnt ride the best but i was willing to live with it after all its a 4x4 it felxs ok. Its good for the DD that dosnt see alot of hard trails Good luck hope i was able to help

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

most i have read say thay are o.k. but ride harder than others. most say for good mid grade kit go tuff country . but if all out best bds springs are top notch.

4. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I hate to hijack, but thought it a waste to start another thread...I know nothing of the pro comp lift, but am on a crusade against Tuff Country springs, whcih are the worst springs I have ever seen....I lost almost 1 full inch of lift after three very mellow trips...they do flex, but there are only three leaves so what do you expect...

I think BDS packs have 5 leaves? I am goign to run a 6" pack in the front and am torn between Deaver's and BDS...the BDS springs are obviously hell a cheaper, but the Deavers have 10 tiny leafs which look pretty damn stong...Probably get BDS in the end so I can waste the $400 difference on something stupid...

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm tellin ya Noahrob, go with those BDS springs if you can find them. Did you see there warranty? NO QUESTIONS ASKED! Just bring the bad spring in and get your new ones on the spot. Perfect for a guy like me. I know deaver has a great spring and warranty but unless they are close to you, it could be a couple weeks of downtime if your springs have any problems. My 5.5" springs have lost little if any height in 8 months and they actually have 6 leafs. That 400 bucks? Crossover! My blazer on 42's has a tighter turning radius than my 99 maxima! Back to the pro-comp springs. Unless you are looking for an extremely stiff spring that has very little flex, get the pro-comps. The only thing I liked is how they handled on the road- almost sports car like. Oh yeah, I was running 6" pro-comps so 4" springs may perform better.

6. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

One quick note about BDS. I spoke to the company today about distributors in my area since the main one is going out of business...and it turns out there is some fine print with the warranty. The BDS lady told me that the return policy depends on the individual distributor, so if they want you to buy a new pair and then refund you later, or wait until they get a new set from BDS...well, you have to do what the distributor says...Just FYI, check with your distributor about their exchange/warranty policy BEFORE you buy...

7. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Huh. Thanks for the info. The "No fine print" warranty was a big reason I went BDS. I sure hope their is no problem if I ever screw up my springs.

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Their shocks seem 2" too short to me. Or maybe I was just being too cautious?

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have no personal experience with pro comp springs, but from what i have heard they are stiff, ride rough, and dont flex very well. I have BDS springs and i highly recommend them. They were only about $100 per spring pack, ride good for a lift spring on the road, and flex really well. The warranty is great too. Go with BDS, you'll thank yourself later.
    -Harrison