Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pro Comp Tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Has anybody boughten or used the 305/70R16 (supposedly close to 33/12.5) or 315/70/R16 (supposedly close to 35/12.5) MT's or AT's? and what width rims did you mount them on. I have 8" wide rims and don't want the tires to squish. Also all their tread widths are listed as 10.1 while the overall widths are listed as 12.6-13.2, does this mean the sidewall sticks out way past the tread. If that's the case it wouldn't seem like you would get good mud traction from ZERO sidwall bite. If anyone has used any PRO-COMPs let me know sizes, width of rim, and what you thought of them.

Thanks in advance for taking time to reply.

Chris (a.k.a. Leadfoot)

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I run the 315/16s. I use a 10" wheel and the tread proportions are about right. You could use an 8" wheel but it would suck the beads in a lot.

On the down side of these tires is that after 7 months the tires are weatherchecking (cracking) The local 4WPW says that this is kind of normal and unless it gets real bad they will not replace the tires. I will not own another set of these tires if 4WPW does not fix this problem soon.

3. Leadfoot

btt

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well I have 35x12.50R15 Pro Comp MT's on my truck and they are great... picked them up in Januaray and got them put on the truck the end of May.Very quiet on the road... I will be ditching them soon because I want bigger and more tire noise... these things are like an AT LOL. But I parked next to a freshly lifted 2000 Chevy to day and was scoping it out...it had 315/70R16 BFG AT's on it and they are the exact same size as my 35's. I know cause that is one of the things I looked at.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

5. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 305 70R16 MT's mounted on a 10 inch wide wheel. They look good, the proportions are just right. They are actually a little bigger than the 33 12.50 R15 Dueler AT's (suck) I used to have. The Pro Comps have been great for me so far( had them two months), they have great street manners and get a great bite. I don't have a lot of gumbo in Nevada (no water) so I didn't need a swamper.
    I would recommend the Pro Comps for sure.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Leadfoot, the number you are refering to as "overall" is the cross section width. It is allways wider than the tread width. A 35x12.50-15 usually has about 10" of tread width. Once again, the 12.50 is the cross section in inches.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

hey capt, what will you be ding with the tires when you take them off. when will this be. i am in desperate need of tires right now and ifyou already have them off and for sale i am interested. i was thinking about getting pro comps anyways. how many miles on them and what shape are they in. thanks
    sergio

Check out my new website. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. Leadfoot

I know it refers to the overall width, as compared to the tread width. The thing is, they all have the same tread width, with different overall width, which mean some have straighter sidewalls, while others are more rounded. I just wondered if the wider (overall) one's looked like balloons, especially if mounted on a 8" wide rim (which is what I have on my Mickey Thompson Challengers) as opposed to a 10".