Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pro comp tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85chevy4x4, Apr 30, 2002.

1. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

I just got off the phone with my tire guy. I was buying a set of bfg mud terrain 315/75r16 for my 85 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. He calls back and says they are backordered over a 1000 sets and it will be at least a month before they come in. He talked me into Pro Comp mud terrain on mickey thompson 16x10 classic 2 rims. Are the Pro Comps any good? I still have time to change my mind. I just want to make sure they are good tires for mud, highway, sand, and rock. I'd like to get at least 40,000 out of them. Thanks for the help.

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Ihave a set of 5 in my garage but haven't put them on yet ........ Other on here have the m and say they have great driving characteristics and are real good at clearing mud ...... Drop CaptCrunch a line he runs em too !

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

All of the cool people run that tire. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I haven't had them long, but they handle real great on the street. No hydroplaning, good steering response, etc. The only way I can tell that I've moved from a 33" A/T to a 35" M/T (while driving) is that there is some more road noise.

I can tell you next week how they do in the mud (is it Friday yet?)

4. 85chevy4x4

Well it seems like I'll be happy with them. I should have them by next tuesday mounted on the rims. I can't hardly wait. I've read reviews on them and they seem very good. I ordered my 6" rough country lift kit yesterday so I'll be putting it on this weekend. I've got to take some pictures of this truck now. I painted it bright yellow last weekend. I have a billet grille, tailights, corner lenses, dash, parking lights, chrome trim, bed caps, and rhino liner to put in yet. So many things to do and so little time.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

And so it goes on and on and on and......../forums/images/icons/smile.gif!! I think most of us are in that exact predicament!

6. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

i had some 33x12.50's on my ranger and they work great, just make sure you keep them rotated and such. i think they are a little louder than bfg's but not by much.

7. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I think you'll be happy with them. In my opinion, they are just as good as BFG muds (and I've owned both types) but they are slightly quieter on the highway. But there is no way you'll get 40,000 miles out of them. The ProComps wear faster than the BFG's, and BFG muds won't last 40,000 miles.

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I have X-terrain and would suggest the procomps any day. I just wish they made them in a 38-44"

9. 85chevy4x4

How are the X terrains? I looked at those but saw that they are directional. They look much better than the mud terrains. How do they do in reverse in the mud? The tire guy told me they would only last 20,000 miles or so. They do look like an awesome tire.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I run 35x12.5x15 ProComp MTs right now. They are good tires. IMO they are on-par with BFG MTs... and considering that tires rep, thats saying a lot. If there is any diff between the two, the ProComps are *slightly* softer/stickier, while the BFGs have better sidewall protection.

Not a scientific research-based opinion by any means, but I think you'll be happy with the ProComps...I know am. In fact, my next set of on-road tires will prolly be 37s.... if ProComp would get off their rear end and make a 37" MT, I'd get 'em...

J

11. I am not to fond of them my self, especially after seeing how they wear. My friend got a set a few months ago and tey are wearing fast. Later 80K20

12. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I'd run a 16x8 instead of a 16x10.

I've never driven with them, but a buddy of mine had the MT's on his street poser Z71 with a bunch of lift, and they road and drove fine on the street. I was around him and them for probably 10,000 miles and they seemed to be wearing well.

Sorry, I can't help on the offroad, but they seem to ride/drive good on the road.

13. roadhouse66

roadhouse66 Registered Member

I have a set of 31x10.50 on my Jeep. I have ran two sets of BFG muds prior to them, and the BFG's last much longer. I have 13k miles on my ProComps and they only have half tread on them, no where near what I got out of my BFG's.

Traction, and road manners I think the ProComps are better. The factor sipes on them wil be gone by 10k miles, so I had to get them resiped. I just wish the tires lasted longer....I'll have replace them by 20k. I got 35-40k out of both my BFG's.

14. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

For the street the MT's are top notch! Whisper quite and do as good as any other MT of the road. My pro comps als kick the crap outt my buddy's BFG MT's in the snow and ice.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

everyones rig and useage is different... but my ProComp MTs have worn very well. I run proper inflation and don't do burn outs very often... maybe that helps. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

16. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Yes, the burnout factor is a big one. I have 3 "brand new" tires and 1 "worn" tire, Stupid one legger!