Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Probably for the 2,483,489th time, a 383 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5james, Aug 29, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

What do you guys think the would be the most reliable hp/tq you could get out of a Gen 1 N/A 383? I'm trying to talk myself out of spending the money to do a Gen 3 6.0 swap.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

400 hp and 450 ft lbs....

3. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I was thinking somewhere around there. A stock LQ4 6.0 will have me around 390HP/420TQ plus I'll have the OD transmission and fuel injection. Decisions, decisions.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

What Speed-O-Motive got from this kit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

does any company make a kit that has every single thing you need to make a 383??

6. GMPP has complete 383 long blocks.
    For a 383 I think it is kinda conservitive though.
    If I was to go the 383 route I would look into getting a block and rotating assy from them.
    Then add the heads,cam and intake I wanted to run.
    New block and crank and all the machine work already done to it.
    Just add yer goodies and drop it in.

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

got a link??

8. Hmmm try www.gmpp.com.
    www.summitracing.com sells the complete long block as well.
    Or search for GM performance parts.
    I believe any GM dealer can get the GMPP 383.
    But I think their long block is kinda lame for a 383.
    It does come with a roller cam but it is pretty mild.
    To me it kinda defeats the purpose of having a roller cam with such a mild grind.
    Personaly the only reason to have a roller cam is to take advantage of being able to use a radical grind unable to be accomplished with flat tappet lifters.
    The couple of extra ponies is not worth the money involved with a roller set up to me.
    When in a regular rig set up, is not gonna see above 5500 rpms that often anyway.
    But that's just me.
    For the price of a roller set up you can get another cam with a better grind and be way ahead of the game.
    Playing the if I had the money game..
    383 rotating assy frome GMPP
    Rhoads cam
    Ebrock RPM manifold
    WP's Sportsman II heads
    Q-jet to top it off.
    Good bottem end (stock converter if in front of an auto) and good mid and top end.
    I think that combo would give a nice fat and flat torque curve. Which in a heavy rig is what it's all about.
    Build for torque... horsepower will take care of it's self.

9. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

That's not bad but what would I be looking at to have a shop do the machine/install work on my block? $1500? Then say some $1500 AFR heads, a nice cam $200-300, a BTO 700r4 a little over $3000 installed. Around $6500 and no fuel injection. Hmmmm.

I can get a 2004 LQ4/4L80E combo for $4500 w/ 10 miles and for roughly $5000 get it installed and tuned by a high end shop. This is going to be a tough decision.

10. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why pay someone to insatll it for you? Just do it yourself. I am sure there are plenty of members in your area that would posess the right kind of tools to help you out. I had a shop quote me 2800 when I lived in SOCAL to put my engine in and I told them to pack sand and done it myself. Just my .02 cents.

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If it were me, I'd go with the 6.0!!! Those new engines run great, plus you get EFI and OD.... And you have the reliability of a factory GM engine.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Go factory. EFI is farkin sweet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I don't even want to attempt installing that LQ4/4L80E. I get headaches trying to work on the wiring for my stock engine. I'm the type that would rather pay to have a professional do it that way I have somebody to B*tch at if it doesn't work. B*tching at myself just isn't as much fun. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That's not bad but what would I be looking at to have a shop do the machine/install work on my block? $1500? Then say some $1500 AFR heads, a nice cam $200-300, a BTO 700r4 a little over $3000 installed. Around $6500 and no fuel injection. Hmmmm.

I can get a 2004 LQ4/4L80E combo for $4500 w/ 10 miles and for roughly $5000 get it installed and tuned by a high end shop. This is going to be a tough decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Dude... you're stepping into LS1 country..."

Why is it everyone throws a [censored]-ton of money at a cast iron motor and aluminum heads and still run carburetion when they're in crate LS1 country.

Honestly... why? A simple cam swap and you go from 350/375 to 420/420. There's no reason to complain about the 300 ftlbs of torque just off idle either. Oh, and let's not forget the 175lbs you get off the front axle...

[​IMG]

15. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Oh, you don't have to sell me on the Gen 3 small blocks. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I've been dreaming of doing this swap in my Blazer but the wife gave me a beating about it and I'm trying to talk myself out of the swap. $ for $ though the LS family of engines are the best bang for the buck so I doubt that is going to happen.

PS Anyone have connections for shipping an engine and trans from Michigan to SoCal? The dealer I'm buying the combo from wants $500 to ship it and that seems kind of steep.