Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Probably Goin Out On A Limb Here!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shadow_Killa, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Shadow_Killa

Shadow_Killa Registered Member

Oh well, here goes...I have a 1997 Chevy S10 single cab, long bed w/ the automatic Vortec V6!!! Everything is stock on it now...I am just getting into this jacking and lifting stuff...and was inquiring about some kits!!!

I am presently lookin at the Pro Comp 3" Suspension Kit as well as the Performance Accessories 2" Body Kit. And finally slappin on some 31" x 10.50 x 15 on some 15x8 rims...

...my questions are:
    (1)will my 31"x10.50 tires have enough clearance with those lifts? I do not want to trim fenders, can i go bigger??? What is the biggest tire/rim I could go with? Also tire width as well!!!

(2)will I see a significant change in my truck? I know I'm not going HUGE like most of you guys, but I have another confession to make...money is tight and my truck is not even a 4 wheel drive:blush:!!!

(3)will my truck be exactly lifted to the heights specified (3"(susp)+2"(body)+2"(tires)=7" total) or is it more or less??? If I put a tape measure from the ground to the bottom of my body now, and again after the lifts, will it be a 7 inch difference???

Thanks to all you 4x4 GODs and GURUs!!!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

31x10.5's were optional on the S10's as I recall, so they should fit. Even the owners manual says you can't run chains with that tire size though, not enough clearance.

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My friend has a 98 zr2 S10. It came with 31s and posi units. It doesn't sit but about 2" higher than a normal 4wd S10. With the lift componets the height will change (2"=2") but with tires it will depend on the name brand tire you buy. I would measure them before I bought them to see if they stand a true 31"s. Also remember that the tire height distance will be divided by 2 because your measuring from the center out.

4. Shadow_Killa

THANKS FOR THE INPUT SO FAR!!!

I know that u only measure from the center out when adding inches through larger tire sizes...(ie. 27" replaced with 31" = 2" difference). With a 3" susp and a 2" body lift, could I put a bigger (possibly 33") tire under there, without any cutting of fenders or other alterations???

I have been lookin at the tire guides on different sites and they all seem to say 31" with 2-3" susp lift and a 33" with additional body lift and trimming...but i also hear that they put those limits on there to protect themselves...???

MOST IMPORTANTLY....will I see a significant (noticable) change with both my lifts and tires (probably MTs or Pro Comp)???

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I read a while back on a s-10 lift in one of the mags , or was it 4wp's ad mag . Anyway there was a 6 inch lift , and they used 32's :k5: :k5:

6. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe that there is a lift for the zr2s thats 5" and allows you to run 33's with no rubbing at all.

7. Shadow_Killa

WELL...I just placed my order for the 3" Pro Comp suspension lift kit and the 2" Performance Accessories Body Lift Kits!!! HERE GOES NOTHING I GUESS....lol!!!

Shipping on the susp kit will take about 3 wks, cus of back order and shipping right from Pro Comps warehouse....so that gives me a few more weeks to figure out my rim/tires situation!!! I am pretty certain that i will go with 31" x 10.50 x 15" on a 15" x 8" rim...seems as though most people i have spoken with suggest sticking to the 31.

I plan to take pics of the entire process, I will submit those pics for anyone interested in my minor project!!!

Thanks again guys!!!

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is kinda late but my friend runs a normal S-10 with 3 inches of suspension lift and he has no problem with 31's. We just put fiberglass front fenders on his truck and he should be able to clear 33x10.50's with little or no rubbing. With 3" suspension and 2" body you should be able to clear 32's regardless and narrow (10.5's or skinnier) 33's if you get the offset right.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just so you know, Explorer Pro Comp is garbage, if you can cancel that order, I'd do so right now.

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

34's no problem...

NOt trying to sound like a smartass but you can run 34's with no rubbing if you can find a set. My bro runs 31 10.5 baja claw radials on his bone stock 91 s-10 jimm with very minimal rubbing. 5 inches of lift will alow you to run another 3-4 inches bigger tire with no rubbing.

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

:surepal:

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I find it hilarious that you guys can trash 4 wheel Parts wholesalers at every available oppertunity, yet you get a response like this when someone rags on a company that is owned by them.

13. Shadow_Killa

Thanks guys for all the input...whether positive or negative!!! I have to ask though...

84_Chevy_K10 - can you be more constructive with your criticism on Expl. Pro Comp's susp kit??? Why do you think it is such junk? Have you had personal experience???

Not to defend them, but i have heard nothing but good things about them until now, so makes me wonder what happened!!!

About the tires...I may look into a 33" tire now, if i could get some more feedback on that issue, that would be great!!! The question again...

About to install on a 97' Chevy S10 2WD, a 3" susp and 2" body lift, what is the biggest tire I could run without serious rubbing or ANY FENDER ALTERATIONS (something I dont want to deal with)???

Can I go with the 33 x 10.50 x 15??? 33 x 11.50 x 15??? What is the biggest???

Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am not intimately familiar with all of their offerings. I do know that their fullsize IFS kits are complete trash, wear tires funny, make for crappy CV angles with their advertised lift numbers, etc.

I also am not 100% aware of what else is available for your truck.

I know the fullsizes, there are a number of other kits with superior strength, one piece subframes to lower the differential, better steering geometry, and better shocks included in the kits for prices that are very compeditive.

Do some research and I'm sure you'll find something much better is available.

15. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My friend with the S-10 is gonna try and get some 33x10.50 or 33x12.50's to mock up this weekend and make sure they'll clear before he buys a set. Like I said, if he can clear them with a 3" lift and fiberglass fenders, I'm sure you could do it with 3" suspension and 2" body. I'll let you know what happens.