Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Probably heard this A MILLION TIMES but :4x2 2 4x4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blackbob, Aug 12, 2003.

1. blackbob

blackbob Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif Hello,

My name is Cardea Blue and I'm looking to get my newly recived 4x2 87' GMC Saburban to be a heart stopping, mud stombing, trail blazing offroad machine. It was given to me for my 16th birthday and it's a nice truck and all but I'm looking to get some more out of it. But I want to know what kind of project am I about to get myself into. And I need some advice as to not only what to go about looking for and what I have to be,if I have to buy anything at all. Because a friend of mine to me I could get a donor and do the swap fairly cheap in little time. But I want to know if there are any kits of if any of you there can help me put one together for relatively cheap.
    Thanks for all your help,

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif-Cardea-/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

Here's some info I got from my friend on AF :

Hey BlackBob,
    Yeah, the 4x2 to 4x4 swap is pretty straightforward if you are mechanically inclined... and it should work for any Suburbans/Blazers/Jimmys from '73 to '91. If you you can get your hands on a good PAIR of 3/4 ton axles, it is well worth your while to swap them out... and it really isn't that hard. If, however, you have a unknown gear ratio (in yours or the donors axle) then you'll have to do quite a bit of research or swap out the gears. (Rears and fronts should have the same gear ratio!)

The hard part is not the actual swapping of axles... it's finding that G*DD*MNED BOLT that you just cleaned off and put down on the floor - and remebering where you stashed those new crush washers for your brake hose to caliper connection.

Basically, make sure that you replace as much stuff on the axle as you want BEFORE you start the swap. At the very least...

1. Gear Oil (inspect the gear as well - tooth wear patterns, etc...)
    2. Tie Rod ends (REALLY IMPORTANT)
    3. Get the Balljoints tested with a runout gauge...
    4. BRAKE PADS ! (or loaded calipers - well worth the extra $$$)
    5. BRAKE HOSES !
    6. U-JOINTS !

Now is also a good time to throw a lift on the suspension... again, before you've got the frame in the air and the axles on the ground.

BUY EVERYTHING AHEAD OF TIME !!!!
    Fluids
    Gaskets
    Bolts
    Random tools... (tie rod end separator, BFH - Big F*cking Hammer)

AGAIN, remember, this will take quite a bit of time... so make sure you have a constant reliable alternate mode of transportation. Depending on your abilities, tools, $$$, and the ambient temperature... it can take a Saturday/Sunday (like in my case) or it can take 6 months (like my buddy did...)

I recommend sitting down under your truck for half a day, cleaning it and staring at it. Get a marking pen, pad of paper, pencil, a 12-pack of beer and just put a number on every single place where there is a connection from the axles to the suspension/body/tranny/tcase/engine/steering/braking system.... This'll help with a couple of things...

1. You'll become intimately familiar with the underside of your truck before you buy the stuff you need.
    2. You will have cleaned the underside a good deal (always a good thing)
    3. You'll have a CHECKLIST of stuff to look at before you start.
    4. You'll get a better understanding of how everything works together.

If you have any questions - now is a good time to educate yourself about the conversion.

Remember this...
    Between '72 and '91 in the Suburban / Fullsize Jimmy/ K-5 Blazer (with the exception of diesels) virtually everything on these trucks is interchangeable. If you have a 1/2 ton, try to stick to 1/2 ton components... because when you start going to 3/4 ton stuff it gets more expensive, and parts differences start to cause confusion. If you have a 3/4 ton, stick to 3/4 ton stuff, because that is what your truck requires in order to be BEEFY!

DANA40 Kicks ass!
    GM12Bolt Kicks ass!
    TH400 Kicks ass!
    NP205 Kicks ass!
    Smog Equipment SUCKS ass!

Lastly... Tread Lightly means that if you "accidentally" run over a few Enviro-Nazis, you should bury the bodies... so as to not disturb the pretty flowers.

- Stu

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Anything I am missing ????

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

You can do it, I havent, looks like a month of work on my schedule to do it. Thats AFTER u get the parts. The end of your post intrigues me
    [ QUOTE ]
    Between '72 and '91 in the Suburban / Fullsize Jimmy/ K-5 Blazer (with the exception of diesels) virtually everything on these trucks is interchangeable. If you have a 1/2 ton, try to stick to 1/2 ton components... because when you start going to 3/4 ton stuff it gets more expensive, and parts differences start to cause confusion. If you have a 3/4 ton, stick to 3/4 ton stuff, because that is what your truck requires in order to be BEEFY!

DANA40 Kicks ass!
    GM12Bolt Kicks ass!
    TH400 Kicks ass!
    NP205 Kicks ass!

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you want your truck to be a true beast disregard this quote minus the TH400 kicks ass and the NP205 kicks ass. Go ahead, go one ton, its what you will end up with anyway. Try to get a Dana 60(read $$$$$$$$) not a dana40......also, get a 14bolt full floater (read not as much $$$$$) go ahead and get a NP205, and depending on your transmission wants either an SM465(manual) or a TH400(auto). You'll have to swap engine crossmembers,get front spring mounts....of course the leaf springs........uh........know I forgot alot, but you get the idea.

3. blackbob

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gifYeah,Thanks I know I can do it and the info I posted I got from a guy who did it on AutoMotiveForums.com. I sent him a e-mail but have yet to hear from him. I'm still doing all my research and don't yet have all my questions answered.I was told to come here becuase I heard you guys had a awsome fourm and well I was told I could get alot of help and advice here.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif~Blackbob~ /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Fletch79

Fletch79 Registered Member

Get a sand blast gun.
    As long as you're shredding the whole friggin truck ya might as well blast and paint everything.

5. Fletch79

Fletch79 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    DANA40 Kicks ass!
    GM12Bolt Kicks ass!
    TH400 Kicks ass!
    NP205 Kicks ass!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got one of those 'kickass' GM 12-bolts for sale.

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

its been said before,and ill say it again.dont do it, forget about it,and sell it.its not worth the time,effort,or expense to convert a truck to four wheel drive thats as common an a rainy day in florida.sell the beast,and use the money to buy a 4x4.

7. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Hey Cardea I just wanted to Welcome you to the board. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You should find all kinds of good information here as there are a lot of helpful people. Whatever you decide to do with the truck, good luck and keep us updated. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yeah...welcome to CK5...since you're in florida also check out florida4x4.com for florida specific information and trail runs and such..you'll find some local people there who might be able to help with the swap/locating parts...im in fort myers about 3 hours or so south of ya..

go one ton if you have to swap..if you can deal with selling it and buying a 4x4 burban..why not? make your life a LOT easier

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It would be a hell of a lot easier to find a good 4x4 rolling chassis and swap your body onto it, IMHO. </font>

10. blackbob

Thanks all of you for making me feel so welcome and thanks for the Floeida4x4.com link. As for selling the rig. As a matter a feact Ironicly there is a 4x4 burban roughly the same year for sale for 2k. But then again a truck as good a shape as it looked it was in is just hidding some SERIOUS problems. Or maybe not you never know. Anyways I have no money and if you live in florida you know job's are scace down here. That's why I rather bare the bone and do the sawp mostly cause I KNOW my trucks history all of it's dinks and you know stuff like that. Besides remember this was givin to me and mom want be easy to sell on the "But this one is a 4x4" And if you know single mom's you know it's an ongoing up hill battle for anything. I was originally surpose to get a Camaro. But you see where that got me that and the news or so nicely reporting car crashes and people dieing in them like every day BEFORE my 16th. That and my mom got a benz and figured I'll give him the bucket of work,Lke she always does.Anyways enough of me ranting and thank you.

~BB~ /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

jobs are scarce in florida, even though mine sucks im still there because its hard to find anything else..and i also know how it is with the single mom..lol but im 18 here on my 5th vehicle and shes pretty cool about them..as long as they run i can keep them LOL...

12. blackbob

If only mine was the same.......... /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

~BB~

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

14. blackbob

[ QUOTE ]
    use one of these in your sig if you want
    http://members.cardomain.com/blackbob
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/juem
    or you can make text also like this
    Suburban[/url********]

but delete these ********

oh and also your name, address and phone number are all on that site, so you may want to edit the profile there
    http://www.cardomain.com/profile/blackbob click that to see

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice,but what I really wanna know is how to do that neat little thing with the truck like in your sig ?

~BB~ /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif