Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Probably the worst day ever need some advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quackaddict, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

Ok here goes.........Today my lift arrived and I finally have every piece I need for my 3/4 ton conversion, 6" lift etc, etc,............then the phone rang.

You see I was working disaster relief in LA this spring as I went through a 6 month unemployment spell after being medically discharged from the Marine Corps.

In LA I worked 12 hours a day 7 days a week for almost 5 months. That job ended (June 15) and the only job I was able to line up was working for a company (which shall remain namless). I was in the Marine Corps for 8 1/2 years so it was all I knew and Intelligence is a hard civilian field to break into. So I am having to start over.

Well the company said I was a lock and could expect to start work 1 Aug. Planned on getting the blazer done and then going to work.

They called today to inform me that "something" came up, but had nothing to do with me but I wasn't going to be able to get the job right now maybe in a month or two.

So now the money will run out around the middle of next month. I have 3 options. I can hang on to all the stuff I have aquired and pray I find something, which is hard because I have no leads, or I can part all the stuff I have and take a beating on getting what I paid for it, or I can put it all on the blazer and try and sell the blazer complete with all the new stuff.

I know this has been a very long post and I appologize my world is just kind of upside down right now and I am not even sure which way to turn.

Any ideas on what to do with the truck?

2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i would say keep the truck, even though u might have no money, its what can make u happy, and something u can be proud of...if u sell it, the only thing u can be proud of is a couple weeks of groceries.:crazy:

3. Quackaddict

see that's my point I have been around this blazer for 8 years and after it for about 3 and I bought it in April and have planned every detail ever since if I am forced to sell it all my searching for deals and planning was for jack****.

At the same time I am married and a father of 2 kind of hard to explain to the landlord why the rent ain't in but my truck sure does look good.:(

4. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Keep it for now. Start looking for small jobs, walmart, homedepot, lowes. Theres plenty of small opertunities. Just gotta work at it. And being in the marines will help imo.

My mom went 2 years without a permanent job. Hard as hell on her, myself, and my grandparents. But we lived through it without giving up what we had. She filed for unemployment, joined some job hunting groups for temp jobs.

Dont give up everything just yet!

5. ftcjimmy

ftcjimmy Registered Member

First off- I have all the respect in the world for you:bow: . I have a few family members and a close friend in the military. No matter what they think is wrong, or right, they are protecting me in one way or another, and i thinak you for being apart of that. Any small job employers might see things the same way and higher you for that alone, if not, there probably missing out.
    Second- If you sell all of your truck stuff, itll probably make your life easier right away, but what if the job ends up taking longer? Youll need another solution. What are you going to do? sell everything you own until you get the job? And then youll have to buy all new stuff ounce you have the job....so in the long run it will actually end up costing you more.Thinking....Thinking.... IDEA....Put your truck together and charge people to get them unstuck?:wink1: lol iunno I wish you the best of luck with your situation though.

6. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

first off thanks for your service to our country it is greatly apreceated. :bow: :bow: :bow: :D :D :D

and as for the truck i would keep it and tell that comapny that they could shuve the job up there a$$. and id go find a job at wal-mart or some place like that just to hold you over untill u get a better paying job.

good luck on what ever your choice may be

thanks again for your service!!!

7. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i agree with the others. keep the blazer and the parts. put it aside and go find
    a job. might not be the pay your looking for at first, but i am sure it will come in time. do not wait around for the other place cause they are not paying your bills. good luck and thank you for your service in the armed forces. :bow:

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Post up either in the lounge or wanted section for a job. There are tons of people here from Texas that might could help you find a job. Many of the guys on this board are very sucessful and own their own bussiness. Even more are military or exmilitary and I'm almost positive that you'll get some kind offer/advice/or help.

Keep the K5.

Good luck.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Selling stuff may be necessary, but it is a very short term solution. Get a job, any job, to get some income. It may suck, but some $$ is better than no $$.

If you know the landlord at all, explain your situation to them. If you are a good tenant, they should cut you a little slack. If you can pay some of your bills and get that job in a couple of months, you should be able to make it.

10. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I can relate to what you are going through. As a military member for the last 19 years I am very familiar with the comfortable security blanket that it offers. It gives you a sense of security and conditions you to stress about civilian employment. The thing that you have to remember is that there are alot of people who are dealing with the exact same scenario you are in right now. Don't panic and sell your stuff. I would definitly take care of instead of shredding it because spare parts might be out of your budget. The lessons you have learned and the determination and toughhness you have been conditioned too will make you an attractive find for any employer. You may juust have to take a job doing something you weren't planning on for a while. Hell, you may have to have two or three jobs you weren't planning on. It always helps me when I am struggling with an obstacle to remember all the other people that have suceeded before me and remember that they are no better than me. Good luck.

11. mlaux

mlaux 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don’t sell the truck and parts. The truth of the matter is it will only buy you a little extra time to wait for a job that is likely not going to show up. I have never been in the armed forces but I love to hire ex-marines. You guys will do whatever job you are asked to do and you don’t cry like a baby about it. I’m sure there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same way I do. It is very hard to find smart reliable employees.
    If you need to find a temporary job, look for roofers and framers working in your area. Stop by the job sites and see if they need any day labor. The work is tough and the pay is not great but it makes money. I don’t recommend it as a career but it will keep beans on the table.
    I lost my white collar job about 4 years ago and ended up roofing houses for my buddies company. At the time it felt like a total disaster but know as I look back and it is probably one of the best things that ever happened to me. I learned the true value of a great wife and the pride of supporting my kids not matter what happened. I am a much happier person now from the experience.
    Last advice: BE SMART. Dump the cable, cell phones, and this one really hurts…the beer. You can get that crap back later. One thing that saved us was we started buying the 2 for 1 roasts that were about to expire and ground them ourselves. Beans, rice and noodles are great buys. I know this sound stupid but the small stuff makes a huge difference.

Keep your head high dude!

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Everybody else has given sound advice, so I'll only add three words: Adapt, improvise, overcome

I know you've heard it a millions times, devil dog. It's time to put it into practice.

Semper Fi.

Be strong, keep the faith and keep the :k5:.

13. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your service to the great USofA!

Like the other said, I'd keep the truck, keep the parts, and taket he first job you can get... even if it's something crappy like McDonalds or Walmart.. just something to buy food & electricty until something better pans out

Depending the the wording that took place, you may have entered into a verbal contract with the company to be employed Aug 1, and if they breech that contract you may an avenue there too

Good luck!

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

maybe check into local temp agencies just to get something to hold ya over?

j

15. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

16. Quackaddict

Thanks guys........time will tell

I did line up a guy to buy the old front axle when I get to do the swap and that is a good thing.

17. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK Marine! Suck it up Adapt, improvise, overcome! This is not defeat just a tactical withdraw. I can only tell you from my past I had an mos of 97Bravo. There are several areas where you can look. EG&G, S.A.I.C. Sandia Labs and then there are the main stream corps. With your training go to Wackenhut Security and apply to their special duty division. It won't be $18.00 and hour but you might enjoy it and with your training and being young it is a start. Did you consider Southwest Research Institute (SwRI)?

Never surrender; Never Give up!

18. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

19. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Let me give you some fatherly advise too. I used to have my own busines. When you go to apply for a job dress right. By this I mean do not wear baggy pants and shirt three sizes to big! Avoid shirts that have sayings or pictures on them (no T shirts).

Here is a big tip to all.... When they ask you "where do you see your self in five to ten years?" They are refering to where do you see yourself in our company. NEVER tell them you are only taking the job as a temp till so and so calls me.

Hey man you made it through basic training you can do it. Also as someone hinted Put your faith in God and ask for his guidance. Many a time I have looked up at him and said "well how are we going to do this?"

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  20. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Small world, I was in the Navy for 8 years in the Intell field as well. I probly could have gotten a job in DC, but I dispise that place. Intell jobs elswhere have to be tuff to get into. Don't know how you feel about driving truck, but having a CDL opens a whole new world on jobs. Least up here it does. Hang on to your stuff, don't sell anything that you will regret selling, you won't be in this situation forever, promise you that, as I was in the same situation a couple times!!!