Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PROBLEM... 203 lacking output?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, Jul 11, 2005.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Broke the Blazer out of storage to start working on her again after my life has settled down a bit.

She was fine when I put her into storage but no she is mad. The 203 case has output on the front shaft but nothing on the rear. It dirves only in front wheel drive.

I installed a set of 1 ton running gear under her with warn hubs upfront but when I unlock the hubs nothing moves and the front shaft spins. No matter the shift location. The T-case has never been opened and no partime kit was ever installed in it.

I think I will just do a 205 swap for the moment and then look into the doubler since I will have both a 203 and 205, but what could be the problem with the 203?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If it doesn't have a part time kit in it, they it should work in the LOC position with the hubs unlocks. Have you checked the fluid level in it? Does the chain sound like its loose?

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

No noise, even when driving... yet I only drove around the parking lot at the shop. Fluid level good just no output on the rear shaft.

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Shameless bump from page 8 ;-(

5. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but if the 203 has never had a part time kit put in it then the only way it will move with the hubs unlocked is with the shifter in one of the two lock positions. Are you sure it is going all the way to lock? If it has sat around for a while dirt and crud in the shift mechanism might be keeping it from going all the way in.

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Yes It will shif into all 5 positions. The only time I get output is in high or low loc and the only output I get then is on the front shaft. So if the front hub are unlocked the front shaft spins freely.

7. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it is working like it should. The 203 is a full time case, so it has a differential in it. When it is not in a LOC position, the open hubs in front the allow all the power to go to the front output and the truck will not move. Lock the front hubs and it will move. Or, shift it into a LOC position and it will move. Trucks that came stock with the 203 do not have locking hubs in the front. The fronts are locked all the time.

8. warreclipsegst

warreclipsegst Registered Member

I have a 77 K5 with a 203. It had lock out hubs when i bought it. If i am understanding this correcty then it must have had a part time kit installed as well b/c with the front hubs unlocked and the transfer case lever in H or L I can drive with no trouble. and from what i am reading, if it doesn't have the part time kit then without the hubs locked and if it is in H or L i shouldn't be able to go anywhere right?

Just trying to see if i have a part time kit installed...

Thanks

9. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

war........gst you are correct