Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem at the tire shop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jughead, Jan 16, 2007.

1. jughead

jughead Registered Member

Bought a set of 38 inch Radial Swampers off a guy on E-bay awhile back. I am finally on vacation and had time to swap the tires over on to my rims due to the fact that the rims that they came with were 5 lug....While sitting in the waiting room the guy came in with a not so happy look on his face. On the first tire his guy was trying to get off he blew the arm of the machine right through the sidewall....It happened to be one of the tires with the most tread on it. Two were really good and two were so so. He said that was the first time he had ever seen that happen. I figured since he did mostly tires on big rigs I would not have a problem and he would know what he was doing. He called around to find a tire to replace it and almost choked when he got the price over the phone....Do you think he is going to try to burn me?

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

if its a decent tire shop he wont. he should be held liable cause he is the one that did it not you or the tire. if it was his equipment or him personally that screwed up then he should have to replace it. so like I said if he's any count he'll replace it for you otherwise you may have to fight him over it. I know that after my personal experience with tire shops I will only take my tires to one place if I cant do it myself.

once I took a set of tires to a local tire shop. the guy worked at it for a few minutes and then said he couldnt break the bead. he's real picky about doing tire work if you dont buy your tires from him. I laughed in his face cause they were on 16.5s. I laid the tire on the ground and broke the bead with my hands.

took my tires to wal-mart once and they did a fair job and it only cost me $10 to have them taken off one set of rims and installed on another so the next time I took em back. took all the wheels off my truck, loaded them and the new tires in my buddies truck. they dismounted all the tires and put the new ones on the rims and them came to tell me that they didnt have enough air pressure to seat the beads. then I had to take em home and do them myself so I would be able to drive.

another time we did the same thing. waited an hour and thirty minutes while the guys sat around and talked to each other then came in to tell me the machine was broke and they couldnt do it.:mad:

since then I have found a good tire shop that will treat you right and can do almost anything but its an hour drive to the shop so I do it myself when I have the time.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

yeah....hes liable. If it was HIS machine that did the damage or HIM, hes liable. If its a reputable tire shop he should fix it for you.

I only do business with 1 tire shop. Its the only tire shop in town that can mount and balance tires over 35". I know both of the owners (they are brothers) and they are both great guys. When I went to buy my 37" MT/R's a while back while they were on backorder EVERYWHERE....my tire guys tracked 2 down 2 hours away, 1 came from 4 hours away, and 1 from another state. Free for me. Not to mention, he got me a HUGE deal on them (I paid $185 per tire....while everyone else wanted at least $225).
    -Harrison

4. jughead

jughead Registered Member

I left the other tires there and told him to pop those off while we waited to find another tire....I over heard him on the phone with a guy from a local 4x4 shop and the guy told him to go take his timewhen trying to pop the bead. Which seams to be exactly what he did not do....

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Pictures! I would take some pics of the tire, just in case he all of a sudden just decided he isnt gonna follow through. Its nothing you did, nor the machine imo, it was his lack of taking his time.

6. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

ALL him if he doesn't replace the tire let every one know not to go to him.
    Tell him your calling your attorney and your gonna sue him thru small claims court. I did this and the tire was replaced in a heart beat.

7. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

even though i do understand that the tire shop could be blamed, sometimes its not the machine or the tire guy. i had taken a tire to a shop to remove from a 6 lug rim and install on a 8 lug rim. when he tried to break the bead with the machine, the sidwall ripped and he was taking his time. apon further inspection, the reason the tire ripped was becouse the age of the tire and
    becouse some of the belts were broken on the sidewall.
    he explained to me while we were looking at the tire, you could see speed
    bumps in the sidewall which means belts stretched or broken.
    whether this is true or not in your case, it was true in mine.
    the machine is to powerful if you have broken belts. i went home and broke
    the bead on a another tire myself just incase :D

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i can tell you from experience that the only way i have seen that happen is from the tech at the machine not taking the time to fully deflate the tire before breaking the bead. you dont always HAVE to do it, but this is the sort of thing you risk doing. i know cuz i've done it once myself, and seen it done by other techs as well. even old and rotten tires typically come off without blasting through the sidewall unless the tires were truely in real rough shape(as in not the shape you would even think about installing on a vehicle.) i wouldn't give in to any of their run-around.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have done tires a long time. anything from 4" rim to semi stuff. somebody was not doing the job right or using the wrong equipment .

all i can say is he best pay up and eat that one. i have had to fix lots of socalled tire pros screw ups over the years.

and in past deals with big tire only style shops like semis and stuff. thay dont know how to change a smaller rim tire. thay just know how to change the big stuff.

also keep that for a trail spare. ask them for a big loader tire blow out patch . take it home and buff down the inside area and glue it on. then find a tube that fits and use it for trail low speed only.