Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem converting '70 Blazer to power steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by urbanhunter44, May 7, 2006.

1. urbanhunter44

urbanhunter44 Newbie

I'm trying to convert my '70 blazer to power steering from manual and I'm having a problem locating a part.

The arm that goes from the box to the rest of the steering doesn't fit the new box and I can't find that arm. I believe it's either called a pitman arm or a steering arm? Can someone tell me exactly what it is and where to find a new one? Thanks

2. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

are you going for cross over? or conventional steering? and it is called a pitman arm. most would call the thing that attaches to the axle the steering arm. what PS box are you using?

here are the two types.
    [​IMG]
    that is a typical 4wd box.
    this is a 2wd box used for a cross over converson. it has a ford pitman arm on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. urbanhunter44

urbanhunter44 Newbie

It's the stock box for a 4wd '70 blazer. I got a never installed new box.

I tried ordering a moog pitman arm but it has a swivel joint at the end of it, and the arm on my car now (4wd manual steering) just has a hole at the other end that a bolt goes through.

4. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

most pitman arms have a tapered hole for the DLE to go into. im not familar with first gen stuff so i dont know what the factory setup would be,

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think you may have a 2wd box and not a 4wd box, AFAIK all 4wd boxes use the same pitman arm that when installed points toward the drivers side wheel. The 2wd boxes the pitman arm points toward the rear bumper and won't work unless you go to crossover steering. If you could post a pic of both your current non power steering box and also your new steering box i'm sure i or someone else could help you much easier.

6. urbanhunter44

urbanhunter44 Newbie

Sure I'll take a pic today.

The pitman arm does point towards the driver's wheel, however the part of the pitman arm that connects to the box, doesn't fit the new box. The splines are different.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Take a pic of the new box, i'll bet it is splined all the way around the sector shaft which is a 2wd box and not a 4wd box.

8. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

If your pitman arm doesn't have the tapered tie rod hole, it could be a 2wd pitman arm. They usually had the balljoint in the pitman arm, not on the drag link. In which case, you would have a 2wd box or sector shaft also in order to fit that pitman arm.

9. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

If you're anywhere near CA, I've got a box and a pitman arm you can have. I went with crossover steering so the old stuff is stored.