Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PROBLEM FIXED: water came out of spark plug hole...am i completely fubar'd???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01maroonz71, Jan 14, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

well, here's the deal...i paid 500 for this motor, it was out of a 93 and is TBI, the guy who sold it is a friend of the family from out of town...he gave it to me with the dizzy and tbi intake manifold...well, i since pulled that off...and installed an HEI dist. a new manifold, and recive my edelbrock 650CFM carb tomm. well, i was installing the new plugs( he left old ones in there to keep crap out) and all the cylinders were fine, all smelled like fuel except cylinder one...water came out. i think it was water, didn't smell like fuel at all...well, the next thing i figured i would do is turn the motor over by hand, but i can't for some reason, so i hit up the starter, but i think it's shot!!!!

am i totally f'd or what???

i do know that this motor sat on his back porch for a good month or two but had everything plugged. when i transported it to my house, i put it in a tire in my garage, and it didn't exactly sit perfectly in the tire. a little "off-camber" if you will. would this cause this in any way?????

oh yeah, it also looked like there was some water in the oil when i drained it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  2. 01maroonz71

im gonna throw a different starter on tonight and see if i can get it to turn over. the current starter just clicks like it's shot!

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Was the throttle body still on the manifold when it was being stored? If not, water may have gotten down into the lowest cylinder that had a valve open.

It may have even come in through the exhaust port.

I'd say it was definitely water in the cyl and it rusted the bore around the piston. That's why you can't move it by hand, nor can the starter spin it. If you can't rotate it by hand, you'll just burn up the starter trying to force it.

You have two options:
    1. Pull the heads off and check/clean it out.
    2. Pull out all the spark plugs, dump some penetrating oil down #1 cyl and keep working it backwards and forwards by hand.
    Since the engine is not in a vehicle, you should pull the oil pan and have a look in there. You'll be able to see the bottoms of the cylinders and that will give you an indication of their condition.

Either way, the motor is probably not fubar'd. A friend of mine picked up an '89 Blazer with a locked up motor, no oil and rusty cylinders and he just did #2 above for a few days and it freed right up. He changed plugs, cleaned out the oil pan, changed the oil again after a couple hundred miles and has been driving it for over a year now.

If you DO get it freed up and rotating, fill the water jacket to make sure there are no massive holes or cracks in the block. If the engine was stored in a cold climate with regular water in it, the block could be cracked.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had a hood off a project truck. rained so hard it went in threw the air cleaner stud. didnt know it had happened. tryed to start it. no start. swaped battery thaut it was bad. still no start. pulled air cleaner lid and carb had water on back secondarys. opened butterflys and intake was full.

pulled the plugs and last one on each side had water right full in cylinders. then rolled motor over 30-50 secs and got out 95% of the water. then also i drained the oil pan of water.

8 new plugs and it fired right up no problems to this day. had to change the oil 2 more times till 100% clear of water.

5. 01maroonz71

awesome guys...great news...the motor had no TBI on it at all when it was stored, so there's probably the culprit....also...how difficult should the motor be to turn over by hand???? should i just spin fairly easy or would i have to get on it pretty good....i was using a deepwell w/ an extension and didin't want to spring the bolt, so i kinda quit early...i recon i could do it a bit more..

on a side note..the motor is in the truck, but i can still pull the oil pan and check it out.

also, what type of penetrating oil are we talkin that would be safe for cylinders...just pb blaster??? or liquid wrench or something????

thanks again guys!

~Dave

6. 01maroonz71

WELL....IM SOOOO HAPPY!!!!! i changed the oil(bit-o-water in there too) and filter then i pulled off the valve covers just to see what was up...
    then i sprayed some liquid wrench in the cylinder one and let it sit for about 10 or 20 min while i grabbed another beer.

well, i cranked it over and it moved a bit, so i hit the starter a few more times(like 10) and finally it broke free!!!!! yeah!!!!! well, nasty **** was spewin out of the front two plug holes(looks like rusty water, like it's been in there a while)

should i turn it over a bit more to make sure every little bit of crap gets out of there???? im so damn happy.

now i can get a good nights sleep.

thank for your help guys!!!! the 25 i spent to join this forum was worth every penny.

7. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

You should be fine, I had my front clip off, and no airfilter with a tarp on my motor, well a strong storm ripped the tarp off and got water into my motor, I took all the plugs out, I used regular motor oil and put it into the cylinders, turned it over untill I got everything out, changed the oil, and she fired right up, burned the little bit of oil out and ran like a champ. so you should be fine. :)

8. 01maroonz71

can i just poor fuel in my intake to flush out all the water or do you think i will be fine with a bit of water in there???? im not sure if i like the idea of oil goin in there....

9. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

I didn't put oil in the intake, I put it straight into the spark plug holes, I just flushed the carb with a little gas.

10. 01maroonz71

perfect...that is what i'll do...thanks alot man!!!!!