Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

problem getting locking hub in

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FatBoyBlazer, Mar 22, 2002.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i just swapped out my original ten bolt for an older one(just for the gears) and i went to put the hubs back in and i couldn't get the snap ring that goes on the splines of the outer axle shaft... what might have i done wrong?..... and i want to put the 30 spline inner shafts in the new one cause i heard they were stronger, the ones in the nw old axle are only 28 what do i have to change??

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you are trying to put it back on then you will have to take a pry bar and stick it through at the ujoint and pull out on the axle. It should slide out that 1/8" or so that you are short easily. Sometimes you can push it with just your fingers.

3. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

There were several different grooves machined into the axle stubs depending on the year. I have seen some stubs come stock with two grooves machined in them ('88 Burban). When I changed my auto locking hubs to Warn manual hubs, I had to cut a groove closer to the end of the axle shaft to snap the ring on. I measured the placement of the groove on the Burban, then I used a hose clamp to mark that spot on my Blazer's axle stub. Then I used a hacksaw with a good blade to cut the new groove. If you are carefull in how you measure and cut, the hub will fit snuggly in place. The other option is to get axle stubs with the groove already machined, but that may get expensive. It think the stubs run about $80 or so each. As for changing axles for the 30 spline, you'll need to replace some components in your differential including your carrier which can also get expensive.