Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem, need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by loudandproud, Sep 2, 2000.

1. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

The fan on my engine hits the plastic thing that goes around it. I don't know what it is called but it attaches to the radiator. The fan blade has broken out part of the plastic down on the bottom where it hits. It only hits when my front tires drive over a big bump, I notice it most when one of my tires goes over the bump and the other stays on the ground. So I think something must be loose somewhere, but I haven't got a clue where to look. Any ideas??? Thanks

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

The plastic thingy is your fan shroud. I'd bet that you need new engine mounts, I can't think of anything else right now that would cause your problem.

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jason and Squash are both right. Dont take your shroud off,need it for cooling. Fix your mounts.

[​IMG]
    Get Out and VOTE!

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

To me it seems like you have hardly any clearance around your fan at all. From the attached pic it looks like the fan is damn near touching the shroud. It should have more room than that.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Well you can get an electric fan and mount it on the back side of your radiator. So it will pull the air thru the cores. This frees up some horse power. The down side is, if you ever cross deepwater your up a creek with the el'cheapo fans. Either way the rotting or toasted body mounts are going to need replacement. Dick Cepek sells a total body kit for your truck. I got a kit from their mail order out of Petersons 4wheeler for $135. These are the garden variety poly kits. They have all the bushings. My buddy got a kit from J.C. Whitney for $104. They were Daystar brand. he hasnt complained about hem yet. Mine are just the same, no complaints. The motor mounts are going to run anywhere from $16 to $30 depending on where you go. I dont know what you want to do. Either way its going to cost some $$$$ and a lot of elbow grease. All of it is worth it. K5s' cant be beat and dang sure cant be kept down.