Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem of the week! Wheel bearing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by backlash, Dec 18, 2000.

1. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Used to be I'd run into a snag about once a month ... seems like it's every week these days ....

Had my entire brake system replaced about 3 months ago ... including rebuilding the calipers and resurfacing the rotors!

Last Friday at take off, I noticed a popping/clicking sound in the left front wheel. As it got worse I noticed my truck would pull to the left when braking. Sound changes while applying brakes. This is after dealing with a bad proportioning valve since new. Had about 3 months where the truck braked in a straight line. First time ever.

I'm thinking bad wheel bearing. Any thoughts? Of course I'm wondering if the guy that resurfaced the rotors repacked my bearings or just slapped it together.

Ps. New master cylinder is leaking again, also.

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Just looking at Jonny Reb's Clunk post.

How can I tell the difference in a bad wheel bearing vs. bad auto hub.

If I lock it in, do I stand a chance of not getting it out? Can you remove the hub and still drive it? ... thinking about all that dirt in and grease out.

Should I just take it back to the guy who turned the rotors and rebuilt the calipers?

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Had to bring it around again. Did a search ... nothing exactly like this.

Took it to the shop today ... of course after stressing the front end in 5 inches of fresh snow! YEE Haw!

4. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

had a similar problem. It turned out to be that the last person to do work on the wheel bearings didn't tighten the nut properly for 4wd. The nut was stripping off threads on the spindle. Had to replace the spindle at the tune of almost $600. I think it sounds like the same thing.

fix'n finally

5. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Mike,

Thanks.

Part of the frustrating thing ... have the tools, the knowledge, no time , so when I pay someone to do it ... gets a little frustrating when it's screwed up.

Thanks for letting me share!

Guess I wait to see what the real problem is and stop speculating.

Thanks again.