Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem Starting

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BurbLover, Apr 3, 2005.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I replaced my 6.2 in my K5 about two weeks ago. Ran just fine & then I parked it. This past weekend, I had trouble getting it started and noticed the fuel pump was leaking pretty good. So, I replaced the pump, bled the lines, and it still doesn't want to start very good. Killed both batteries.

I've got fuel all the way to the injectors and bled the injectors as well. Any idea's?

BTW, didn't even start up with either. I know you shouldn't use it, but it should've started with it.

2. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

are you sure your GP are running? mine used to have a really hard time starting up, replaced the GPs and then a week or so later the remote relay went out too. replaced that now it's tits.

3. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

When I replaced my fuel pump(manual) I tried to start and nothing happened..Ended up my starter wasent turning fast enough to get it to fire...
    I sure thought it was. Took it to a mechanic friend & he said right away change starter. I did and she started!! :D

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

easy on the ether!!

I dont reccomend ether,but have had to use it in emergencies myself--

I have found that a 6.2 wont start with ether very well if you just spray it down the intake and then go get in the truck and try cranking it--all my truck would do is grunt,groan,and then a horrendous "CLACK" like a spark knock on steroids!--I could picture the shattered pistons in my mind when I heard that! :yikes: I'm willing to bet many starter drives get wounded, and noses get cracked this way too.... :blush:

But I learned the "right" way to use ether from an old diesel tech--he says #1--DISABLE the glow plugs--and wait at least 5 minites before using ether if they were energized..
    #2.Get the motor cranking over as fast as it can BEFORE you spray the ether into the intake--and only spray for 2 seconds,no more is needed than that--if it does not fire up then,you have bigger problems!
    #3.Refrain from using more ether to keep it running--he says WD-40 is safer and less harmful to the engine than ether--he uses it all the time to get a diesel started after changing the fuel filters,doesn;t even have to bleed the system--just fills the filter with clean fuel,and uses the WD40!! :crazy: