Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

problem swapping yoke...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Nov 5, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok - besides it's way past time to renew my membership /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

let's get to this post... I am trying to remove my yoke so I can put a different one on. now, I have the retaining nut off, but I cannot figure out how to get the yoke off... my first impression was to pry, or to beat it off. however, my chiltons expressly forbids using a hammer or pry bar.

so - how in the world do I get this stupid yoke off??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks guy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I used a puller, but I guess You have to go out and buy one since obviously you don't have one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Most yokes I pulled didn't need the puller, I just tried wiggling it until it loosened up, and also you could use a small hammer and tap around on the body of the yoke it should loosen it up without damage.
    You just need to creat a vibration that will loosen the bond between metal caused by a long time against each other.
    I guess they just grow fond of each other /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A puller?

Rene

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I used a 2 armed gear puller and it popped off real easy when I put the impact to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had to change a pinion seal on my 14-bolt once. That freakin' yoke was attached VERY tightly to the pinion shaft! After looking at a picture of the GM recommended removal tool, I made a puller from a flat plate of steel. It bolted to the yoke using the 4 holes that attach the u-joint. I drilled a hole in the center of the plate, then ran a half inch bolt through the plate, then through a nut. Then as I tightened the bolt, the nut pressed against the plate, which pulled the yoke off the splines. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is a great idea if you don't want to buy the jaw puller.
    Although mine was cheap enough $5.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I gave up on $5 Made-in-China pullers years ago. They nearly always bent or broke before doing anything useful. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I've got some good Craftsman pullers now, but they cost $30-40 each. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've love to have an assortment of the Kent-Moore specialty tools for our trucks. They're the ones that the GM dealerships use, but they cost serious coin! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. solowookie

well - I got the yoke off this stupid wrecked k5 - now I gotta worry about getting it off of my good k5... I really like the idea harry's got there... I don't have the materials to fab something up, but I can see where that's going to be a good idea in the future.

(I used a brass hammer to get the first one off, but also realized that I didn't get the washer out under the nut. hopefully I'll remember that when I take the one off my important axle... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. solowookie

p.s. I finally got around to renewing my membership... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I pulled one the other day. I used a slide hammer (dent puller.) I gave it a good pull or two and it popped right off.

11. solowookie

I really need to get a slide hammer, but right now I don't have one. I'd like it to pull seals, dents etc. I can think of several uses I would like one for.