Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem w/ timing & carb.!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by santana, May 23, 2003.

1. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifIm looking for someone in the Phoenix Az area who can rebuild my carburator and adjust the timing on my K5. I think the timing is off cause when I turn the engine off it stays on for a couple of seconds /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif also when I punch the gas pedal it hesitates to go. I suppose these are the problem. Someone enlighten me /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifIm looking for someone in the Phoenix Az area who can rebuild my carburator and adjust the timing on my K5. I think the timing is off cause when I turn the engine off it stays on for a couple of seconds /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif also when I punch the gas pedal it hesitates to go. I suppose these are the problem. Someone enlighten me /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Man i got the same thing happening to me. if you figure it out, feel free to tell me

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

just go to the local parts store and buy a timing light to check the timing. as for the carb, i can't help yah. im a TBI man myself. but any local shop that deals with older cars should be able to rebuild it for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

Don\'t be afraid

Is this something you don't want to attempt or don't have time to do yourself?

I think these are easy basic repairs you could attempt and accomplish yourself. The first thing you need is a service manual or two to read up on the subject. Then if you still aren't comfortable go to the wrecking yard(I know automotive recycler for you pc types) and get a carb from a vehicle similar to yours to practice on. Take it apart, keep track of the parts and familiarize your self with it. Then you will be more confident and ready to tackle your own truck. Any questions post back, as I'm sure there are many here who would be glad to help. If you buy tools buy the best and this goes for borrowing too(Borrow the best). Good Luck. Also look into replacing the fuel filter.

Rich

5. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Re: Don\'t be afraid

Thanx for the tip on replacing the fuel filter, I'll try that and see what that does. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif As for wanting to tackle it or having time to do it myself, its a little of both you see, Ive never messed with rebuilding carbs n stuff I can take the truck completely apart but Im not good at things like carbs though Id like to try it. Also I work 12-14 hours daily 6 days a week so that doesnt leave me with enough time to do it plus this fuggin Arizona heat is begginning to make it unbearable to be outside /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. But if it goes to south, Ill just have to duke it out with the thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.. Just thought I could get someone who could give me a hand and make a little $$$ in the process /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif