Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem with 4WD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cthain, Nov 27, 2006.

1. cthain

cthain Newbie

I've a '89 GMC Jimmy (Fullsize) that seems to be having issues going into 4 wheel drive. I had no problems shifting the floor shifter in the summer when I was out camping; however, this last weekend on the way up to Whistler the roads were full of snow. I went as far as possible in 2WD, which meant right to the first steep hill ;) I tossed it into 4-Hi, saw the idiot light turn on; however, it certainly felt like I was still in 2WD. My friend hoped out, watched, and sure enough the front wheels weren't spinning - just the rear. The hubs were locked of course.

I read another post that talked about a newer S15 I think it was having problems, but he had a push engage 4WD and to be honest, I'm not sure if the advice there would be the same for me. If anyone has any suggested trouble shooting steps, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Chad.

2. Libtekguy

Libtekguy Registered Member

4x4 posi lok

I've had this same problem in the snow as well with my '89 Blazer. I got that 4x4 posi lok kit. I think the part number is PSL#600. Just do a search for it on amazon or summit.

This kit replaced the thermal actuated 4x4 in my truck with a cable system. It's easy as hell to install. Look it up, I bet you'll want it.

I've only had it for a few months, but I havn't a had a problem with it.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

First question is do you still have the auto hubs? If so I'd recomend some manual locking hubs. If you do have manual locking hubs i'd recomend pulling them apart and cleaning the guts up, then re-greasing them. Most likely there was a bit of moisture in em and they've frozen in the disengaged position.

Rene

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

An 89 K5 Blazer would not have a thermally actuated front end. Auto hubs at worst...unless you have the S-10 Blazer.

Rene