Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

problem with a tire coming off rim

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I have a set of 16.5x35x14 Ground Hawgs on my truck, and one of the tires keeps leaking out of the bead on the outside and going flat. It being winter and the fact that the tires are non-flexing Ground Hawgs the tire comes off of the bead after this happens. How can I get the tire back on without going to a tire shop... essentially what I am asking is how do I use ether to put it back on? I know its probably dangerous... but I've done things that are way more stupid than this is, so I'm not opposed to doing it. Also, is there anything I should do to the wheel before creating the mini-explosion inside of it to get the tire to possibly quit leaking?

Thanks a lot...

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

well...

I have seen it done where you spray in either, or dump it in if the tire is big... light a match and toss it... in the tire...

Stand back.. and this is dangerous.... too much ether and BOOM... new tire time... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have done this more times than I can count, mainly on semi tires but I have doen it to smaller tires as well.
    Take the tire off the rig and set it facing up on a bucket.
    Hook up a self clamping air chuck with good air pressure and fold the hose over about 6' back. spray around the inside with ether and run a trail abouot 8' back, hit it with a match and when the tire Whoofs let go of the hose and walla. one tire on the bead.
    When a tire is 14deg and was in a stack, that was the only way to get it to seat, a blast cannon was useless.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

what kind or air pressure are you running?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Get the weight off of it. Take a peice of rope and wrap it around the center of the tread and tie it. Take a stick and start twisting the rope. As you tighten it up it will force the side walls and beads out to the rim. Then you can start airing it up. once it starts holding air you can let go of the stick. You don't even have to take the rim off the truck if you go the clearence to twist the stick.

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I do almost the same thing as Grim, but use a ratchet strap instead. Wrap it around the tire, hook the two ends together and crank away. With the strap I can let go to grab the air hose, and not worry about it loosening up.

7. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

as odd as it may sound me and chvyhs got a set or 38'sTSL's to mount using spray paint here is how get any object to set the rim on i.e. bucket or what have you and spray the paint onto the bead surface of the rim push down on the tire as to set the bead and wait about 10 - 15 minutes it sticks like glue and then gentily pull up on the tire and hit it with air . Not quite sure how it will work in the cold but worked great here in SoCal........ /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

What everyone has missed so far is the fact that it is leaking between the rim and bead. You need to take the tire off of the rim and clean the bead seating area. Then put it back on using your choice of methods already listed. I prefer to save ether (or your choice of flammable liqid) as a last resort....usually on the trail.

9. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

godd point forgot about aclean bead first!!!

10. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

work at discount tire, if you take it into a shop they will break down yur tire and add some bead sealant to your rim which seals your bead reallywell (depending on how bad your bead on the tire is). I did it to mine and i run low pressure and they havent leaked or come off the rim yet. 35" Mud kings

11. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I work at Discount Tire too. Try to get your hands on some of that bead sealer stuff. It works really good. Looks like tar/rubber cement.

12. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

Is it the tire? or possibly the wheel? I've seen everything from pourous material to different material types in certain temperatures affect proper inflation of a perfectly good tire depending on the grade in which they are parked. Are they steel/magnesium/aluminum? Sorry to confuse further, but have been through this problem before.

13. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'll have to take the tire off of the rim entirely, and clean the bead surface. There is a layer of gunk on it that I think is causing it to leak. After I get it cleaned off I may just go to a tire shop and have them mount it, as I can't get any of that bead sealer. Or I could use the rope method... I did that once earlier this week, but all of the air leaked out overnight and the tire was back off.