Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem with ABS?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by willyswanter, Apr 15, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, last Friday my brake pedal started hitting the floor and not stopping my truck... Not good in an 8k pound truck. Anyway, I was thinking I have a faulty master cylinder since I have no leaks and I'm full on fluid but I read something on the net today. There is a common failure on the Kelsey Hayes 4 wheel anti-lock system on these trucks that causes the pedal to hit the floor because a valve does not seat in the abs unit. Could this be my problem? Or do you think it's more of a master cylinder problem? The pedal has resistance all the way down, just like with normal brakes but it never stops, just keeps going till it hits bottom. Need this fixed asap so any help is greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I read something on the net today. There is a common failure on the Kelsey Hayes 4 wheel anti-lock system on these trucks that causes the pedal to hit the floor because a valve does not seat in the abs unit.

[/ QUOTE ] You can check here to see if there wer anyTSB for your truck. If that helps. It sounds like the M/C is bad.

3. willyswanter

Yeah, I guess I'll throw a new M/C at it and see what happens. This is getting old really quick, not having a vehicle for 4 days now...

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Jason, isn't your ABS non functional because of the d60 swap anyways?
    If thats still true, why dont' you do what u were thinking of doing before
    and just route the brake lines to bypass the whole ABS system? That would sure
    make it a lot less complicated.....

Or actually, its worth a try to disconnect power to the abs system.
    When disconnected, mine showed a brake light, but then i reconnected it
    and it kept the trouble code and just showed the ABS light. The ABS
    is still turned off

5. willyswanter

I tried cuttings power and nothing. But the master cylinder only has one outlet for the front and the ABS unit splits it for left and right so I would have to figure out how to T the system, kind of like what is done in the rear...

6. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Does your system still have a proportioning valve? It usually splits the front brakes, and the individual lines run through the ABS control.

7. willyswanter

My system goes like this... There are 2 ports on the master clyinder, one in front and one in back. The front one is a larger line, for the front discs, and it runs into the ABS unit. Then two lines come out of the abs unit going to each each left and right wheel. The other line on the M/C is the rear line which goes into the ABS unit, and then a single line comes out of it and runs to the rear of the truck.

I'm ripping the whole thing out on Sunday and just running the lines to the Master Cylinder.

8. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Hey Jason
    I have been following your build up, great truck !

I have a 97 2 door tahoe that Im thinking about building.
    I have planned on removing the abs from it. I dont like stepping on a sponge /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    Have you had any problems with yours after you plumbed around it ?
    Anything you would do different ?

9. willyswanter

Hehe, haven't done it yet... Got in a wreck with the truck a few weeks back and haven't touched it. I have all the parts now thought. I got a huge all cast iron master cylinder from ORU made to handle the dual piston ford calipers and rear discs and a new proportioning valve for non-abs systems also from oru.

The suspension parts to fix the truck come next friday then I can get it back on the road and to the body shop. Once all that is finally done I can get back to work on the brakes and other junk /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif