Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem with MSD 8366 dizzy...

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by azblazer, Aug 23, 2006.

1. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Before the trip up to calgary i poped in a new msd ready to run replacement dizzy pn 8366. My old gm unit was having module ground issues and doing the DIF or burning up the module so i figured the msd unit would be the way to go. It idles fine....runs ok...but has no poop in the sails so to speak....and i've been just dealing with it up until this point. I have been having an on going discussion witht he guy from tbichips.com as i want to get her more dialed in in that area whuile i have some time to play with it and he mentioned he has had customers that have installed an msd 8366 and had the same problem....no spark advance. Most of you know both my K5's have been converted to tbi for years...so yes i did disco the timing wire before moving the dizzy....and at 14 degree's advance it doesn't do squat....usually at 4 degree's we ping witht he a/c on....and with the msd 6al box i was going to see how much more i could pull out of it before the ping started..

Anybody ever run up against this issue? And if so was their a cure somewhere? If not...anyone in calgary have a stock gm dizzy?

DW

2. JanneB

JanneB Registered Member Premium Member

I think I have the same distributor, do not remember the # but I am pretty sure it is the same.

My problem is similar, but with a 502 (same as ZZ502 but with early ovalport heads) and a 2500 stall turbine I get heat problems also.

I have Holley TBI Commander 950 with a laptop in the truck all the time so I know what the engine does.

With 30 degrees advance the engine runs really smooth at idle:confused:. It is too much in my opinion.

There must be something wrong with the 8366?

3. azblazer

In colorado i set the timing at 6 degree's advanced hoping with the new msd wirminges and 6al box i could get a few more degree's out of her...she ran so bad i had to add another 6 degree's to call it good....and of course i ran out of time with the trip for work to canada and since the new msd wires were not on yet the ecm was having emi issues and i unplugged the 6al and tried that...it stalled twice with a vss code so i left the p/n wire plugged in and drove all the way to calgary in open loop which i presume caused my higher temps.....but no cel issue's and i averaged 9.7 mpg. I also pulled the dizzy out 4 times making damn sure my eyes are still working and confirmed the dizzy to be in on tdc one. Ask the colorado gang as i managed to break a plug doing it the first time at a meet and greet in grand junction....

I searched forums all day long at work (thirdgen.org-ck5-67-72-msd) and found many people having similiar issues but no end result or cure in the posts. Msd's web site said to reverse the polarity of the mag pick up which i did...and as per expected results retarded the timing from about 8-6 BTDC to 4 degree's retarded....so i tried to set the damn thing and all it would do is die or pop and fart. I then replaced the msd ign module with a spare from my road box and got the samer results....left the spare module in place...timed it at 6 degree's and plugged her back in....power brake seeemed good but no road test as the hotel parking lot was full due to the comedy club being open tonight. Before the ordeal with the engine warm i had 8 degree's A with the timing wire bypassed i had 12 A. With the spare module i have 6 A and 14-16 A plugged in. We'll see what tomorrow brings...but i think i need to order or beg borrow or steal a factory gm dizzy...then i can put the msd wires on and put the fuse back in the 6al and see what we get.

Its about an 11 hour run to the well site i am going to so i'll fire up win aldl and log a sh-- pot of data and see what i come up with....

DW

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Did you try using MSD tech forum? I've had good luck there in the past.

Or is that where you got the information from their site.

5. azblazer

Thats where i got the info. I'm going to hit a boneyard here in calgary at lunch and find a used gm unit and go thru it and install a new module and pick-up.
    DW