Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem with my Edel. 1406 carb?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Mar 1, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The 350 won't idle, and I finally figured out that the primary throttle is sticky.
    Lemme see if I can explain this - It is kind of stuck in the mid throttle position - the arm itself that the throttle cable attaches to. So, when I start it up it's revving a good 4000 or so.
    I can manhandle it to an almost closed position by pushing on it - and it kind of idles about 1000. But it is by no means smooth and there is NO WAY the throttle return springs will ever have enough strength to pull it into this position.
    It feels kind of 'chunky' when I try to move the throttle arm to and fro, like it catches in about 10 different places.
    I removed the throttle cable entirely and that is not the problem.

So what could the problem be? My guess is that there is something wrong with the primary throttle bushing, but I don't know how to fix this.

This carb has run well for me and I'd like to keep it, but sh!t I can't even turn the truck around in the driveway nevermind go wheeling!!
    -- Mike

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If you remove the linkage from the Accel pump does it still move in a notchy fashion ?

Check the right side of the carb. There's some linkage there that stops the secondaries from opening unless the primaries are so far open (that's where it was on my Carter 625 anyway). Could also be some of the choke linkage getting hung up. When I first got my Sub the choke linkage was doing something like this.

3. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

sorry man...and I'm syre I'll hear several ppl disagree, but the carb is sh!t!!! I got a 1406 a while back...less than a year. I've had nothing but trouble with it. Been in the shop at least monthly. Finally said screw it. I'd rather have a $10.00 rusted out Q-jet than this POS any longer...I'm gonna eventually go with FI, not gonna do now, so I got a Q-jet for $20.00, bought a re-build kit for $30.00 and paid a Carb shop &). to rebuild and pin jet it...the 1406 is gonna get used as a baseball....I know thats not what u wanna hear, but I'd hate to see anyone else put as much money in that POS as I did just to replace down the road.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, be sure to home run it my direction! I have had a 1405 on mine for 12 yrs now and I love it. I recently messed up on my clean of the carb and stripped the screw holes for the baseplate. I am buying a new one in New Orleans at the end of the month... unless one comes sailing in here after being hit by a baseball bat! Where are you at? Wanna sell it?

Mike

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

u want it, u got it...jus pay shipping, and if it helps you out and is useful, donate $25.00 to a mambership for someone who needs it...i hope you get better luck out of it than i did...I'm in the springs...I'm guessing $10.00 to $20.00 to ship...

6. swampthang1

swampthang1 Registered Member

trouble1 did you already get rid of your edel. 1406 carb? If not email me I will take it off your hands if you still have it.

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

did you clean the carb with cleaner.mine started getting a little catchy and i sprayed it down into the linkage and in the carb where the linkage goes through and it ran fine after that.i have never had trouble with any edelbrock carb ive owned and ive ran 3 different ones.the only one i didnt like was the manual choke one i had the 1405 version.it was hard to start my truck with it,but once it warmed up it ran good.
    "edit":i forgot to mention as was said before.on the other side of the carb from where the throttle cable is(passenger side),check the linkage that opens the secondaries.i had a friend whos binded up where the linkage hits the secondary linkage.i cant remember what he did to fix it.