Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem with my transfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by loudandproud, Dec 18, 2000.

1. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Ok I've got two questions:

1. How can you tell what kind of t-case you have got? I am pretty sure that the stock t-case is not in my truck because the guy who had the truck before me fixed it or put a new one in. So can you tell what kind of t-case you have by just looking at it like you can with the transmission??

2. I can put my truck into 4 wheel drive but it won't stay there. When I pull the shifter back to 4HI it just goes back to 2HI. I think the linkage might be off, cuz when I put it in N the little orange box that tells you what gear you are in is not around the N its below the N, and I have a hard time getting it into 4LO it kind of makes a funny noise when I am putting it in 4LO. So what could be wrong with it, and how could I fix this???

There is a lot of snow on the ground so I'd like to get this fixed and have a little fun.

I don't know if this helps but my truck is a 90 Jimmy and its been lifted and it has 38" tires.

Thank you [​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

1) On the back of the T-case there should be a round tin tag. Probably red if you clean it up. This will have the T-case model # on it.
    2) Make sure you're not moving when you try to put it in 4 lo. I usually put it in nuetral, then push the lever in one smooth motion into 4 lo.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. loudandproud

Ok I am pretty sure its the linkage, that is why I can't pull it into 4LO because I can't pull the shifter knob down far enough. How do I fix it??? I have the NP241 transfer case(thanks tRustyK5).

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Do you have a body lift? I heard tha tsometimes whene you put one on, it messes up the linkage and it won't go all the way down to 4LO.

90K5

5. loudandproud

Yes I have 3" body lift and 6" blocks. I think I found the problem. There are 2 bolts that adjust the linkage. I adjusted the one bolt but the other bolt was welded into place. The guy who put the t-case up must have welded the stupid thing there so that the bolts wouldn't fall off, but that makes it kind of hard to adjust the one bolt, somehow I gotta put something in there to take up the space now since I can't move the one bolt.... GRRRRRR Pisses me off, there must have been an easier way to make sure the bolt wouldn't fall off insted of welding the thing.

Well thanks for the help guys [​IMG]

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Even if you get the linkage-rod right ,it wont have enough travel. It did before the bodylift but now the floor around the shifter needs to be trimmed for you to move your stick far enough back. And if you just barely make it, it will "bump" out when the body moves a litle on the frame.. Just take the boot off around the stick and see what you got to work with.(gives you a litle more light aswell)

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

7. loudandproud

Ok so once I get the linkage right, I need to take the boot off and the look and see where the shifter is hitting the body and then trim the body to allow for more travel??? Does that mean I need to bust out the saws all?? [​IMG]

Thanks