Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem with new D60 calipers...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Feb 4, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

When getting ready to swap in my D60, I decided to get some rebuilt calipers (Bendix style). For less than $15 each, why not? Anyway, I was putting things back together and have run into a problem. I got the caliper to sit in the caliper bracket, but when I try to drive in the spacer thingy on the bottom to "lock" it into place, I can't. The caliper iron tends to slope away from the bracket. The spacer thing has a lip that goes down over the bracket (that the bolt goes through) and up over the side of the caliper. Since the caliper slopes away from the bracket, the spacer can only go in so far.

Does any of this make sense? Did I put something on wrong? Do I need to get pics to better describe this? Any thoughts?

2. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

pics please.

You sure the caliper is the "right" side?

the bolt is ont he bottom.

They should slide in farily easy the key sits on top of the that pice with the bolt hole.

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

You are probably trying to put it in the wrong way. It took me about 5 times to get mine right the first time. Put the spring thingy on top of the C thing with the hole in it, then try to drive it in.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Is the piston straight? If it is cocked in the bore then that might cause the brake pad to sit unevenly which in turn might prevent the caliper from mounting straight in the bracket. Just a thought...

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The caliper is on the correct side because (a) they are labelled L and R in the casting numbers and (b) the bleeder is on top.

I haven't tried putting the spring on top yet because I couldn't even get the spacer in there by itself to start with. I may need to get another set of hands to hold the caliper up while I drive the spacer and spring in place.

I will try and post a pic tonight if I get a chance to get out there and pull the tire. Its supposed to be pretty cool tonight. If it is below 40 I won't want to venture out of the garage! Afterall, it was simply tolerable when it hit 80 degrees this weekend as we were swapping in the axles! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If it is below 40 I won't want to venture out of the garage!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it got above 20 today here.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Braggert. We got 11" of snow and it never got above 10° today.

8. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Funny thing, I just looked outside and it is snowing again /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I think the actual high was around 15*. Too cold for this TX boy.

Hi-jacked this one and turned it into a weather thread. I am getting good at this.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know exactly what you are talking about. I just installed my D60 last week and had the same exact thing happen to me. All I did was to keep moving the caliper around some and then it all lined up so I could get both the spring and the retainer in together. Try to hold the caliper so that the outside brake pad touches the rotor firmly then lift up on the caliper at the same time and it should line up and go in for you.

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the tips. Since I had the tire off last night to install the Redneck Ram steering box, I decided to make another effort at the caliper. It was exactly how you described. The way I was pushing the caliper up was not exactly right and it would bind and not provide clearance for the clip and spring. I pulled the top out as much as I could and then up. That seemed to provide the necessary room. I then used my third hand to get the spring and clip started. Then it went in just fine usiing my 3lb mini sledge and 1/4" punch. Really went in smoothly with no real force then.

Thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to get a square peg in a round hole before I started trying to applu force or spent hours trying to figure out if I was doing something wrong! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Just how tight should that caliper and key fit be? When I did my D60 conversion, the stock plate and key slide into the caliper mounting bracket very easily. I had to oversize keys (or shims). I guess the trick is the caliper needs to be tight enough in the bracket that holds it, but still be loose enough that it can slide over as the pads wear. Any thoughts on this?

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

When I first went to drive it in the other day, without the spring/key, it was so tight it was scraping metal. Last night when I got it in, it required more pressure than I could apply with my hands, but slipped in pretty good with tapping from the hammer.

I would think you want it pretty snug. The piston is delivering a lot of force and that is what will cause it to slide (the caliper) on the bracket. But if you have to use both hands and a full sledge, then it is too tight! I would think if you could move the caliper in and out with your hands after it is installed, that may be too loose. But I don't know for sure.