Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

problem with Optima Red Tops

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jan 2, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

OK guys...

both of my k5's have the Red Top Optima's... well guess what? those battery's have frozen solid!!!

one of them was in Insane Ewok which is in the shop, and when I pulled it in to tear it down I unhooked the battery, charged it fully, and then left it completely disconnected so that battery had a full charge.

the other battery is in my daily driver, and the stupid thing hasn't been holding a charge... it wasn't until this morning that I realized the one in my daily driver was frozen that I realized what was going on...

and when I started checking out my other battery??? same problem on a battery that had a full charge!!!

now I've got to find a way to get these battery's exchanged for something else!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Let us know what Optima has to say about this one. Should be interesting, I've never heard of them freezing before.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You would think the Sweeds would know how to keep things from freezing...?

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

4. solowookie

you wanna hear the best part about this? the parts store here told me they would warrantee the battery's ONE time!!! [​IMG]

lets just say when I spend $300 worth of battery's from a place within 6 months oon 2 battery's then I expect them to treat me a little better...

guy can get the battery's exchanged, and I would have been happier with an exchange to another battery... he could have pickup up 70 bucks proffit per battery by giving me something else, and just selling the replacements.

guy refused... I figure if I have to I'll put the battery's in a warm place during the winter, and run something else for 4-5 months a year if I have to.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

5. solowookie

p.s.

just got off the phone with Optima, and they stated that it sounded like a fluke. Optima also told me that if I had any other problems with the battery's to make sure I kept the receipts, and if they dealer didn't work it out with me then they would work it out with the dealer so my warrantee would be honored... (and they would probably have their dealership pulled I'd expect... [​IMG])

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Dude, you need to move someplace more hospitable! Sheesh, I wouldn't survive a winter there. [​IMG]

I also would not ever be back to that jackass you bought them from. If it's under warranty and the warranty doesn't specify one coverage, I don't think he has a choice. Also, the fact he wouldn't work with you on getting a different brand, sheesh. You should post his company on here so that other in the area will know who to avoid.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Jeff lives in a small town in Wyoming. There aren't a whole heck of a lot of choices for where to shop. [​IMG] Heck, there are more people living in my county than in the entire state of Wyoming. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. solowookie

LOL - sad but true, but I do have another option for parts; Napa! they are about a quarter mile apart, and Napa is usually cheaper.

the only reason that I go to Car Quest is because they guy usually takes car of me, but that kinda ended today. I'd also be that if I were to get ahold of Car Quest they wouldn't be too happy either...

9. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    How cold are we talking here? I have a red top in my trail rig (dont drive it during winter only start it once a week) its been no warmer than 30 here for a month. How exactly would you tell if an optima froze? Its not like you can see the side or pop the top....I dont remember mine sloshing either

DRIVE IT LIKE ITS YOUR BOSSES!!!
    Luke
    84 K5

10. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    How cold are we talking here? I have a red top in my trail rig (dont drive it during winter only start it once a week) its been no warmer than 30 here for a month. How exactly would you tell if an optima froze? Its not like you can see the side or pop the top....I dont remember mine sloshing either

DRIVE IT LIKE ITS YOUR BOSSES!!!
    Luke
    84 K5

11. solowookie

it's been getting at least to 0 almost everynight... and most days it hasn't warmed up past freezing either so it's been pretty cold here.

I could tell it was frozen by the way my battery was bulging... [​IMG]

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

It was bulging? Wow!

I've seen Optimas do two things. Operate without any problems. Or go belly up. No middle ground. Makes me think on the ones (two) I saw go bad, had a broken cannection inside the battery.

Don't know about freezing. They are "gell" celled, maybe that has something to do with it? But freezeing temps are tuff on a battery, no-matter what it's made of.

The factories have been putting covers over the batterys. They started with foam slip-over covers. Now they have a-full-blown jacket covering the battery, the jacket is made of a tuff vinal (like a tent, or tarp like metterial) and stuffed with some-kind of foam.
    One-thing I know, If the factories decided to do something about it, then it's something to take note-of. Because the factories (G.M., Ford, Chry., Etc..) don't spend money, unless they have something to gain. Take my word on that!

<font color=blue>Wow Factor
    A SBC at 6000 RPM, Piston speed of 60 MPH.
    3- The intake charge reaches a speed 4 X greater than the piston.
    Thats 240 MPH.

13. solowookie

well I'm just going to throw a trouble light under my hook every night to resolve the problem... should make it so I don't have any problems in the future.

I brought the other one in the house so that should be a good thing.

also, optima didn't have any problems trying to replace a frozen battery...