Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem with rocker arm missaligned

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Oct 2, 2004.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

pulled the valve cover on one of my 350s and this is what one of my rocker/valve stems looked like

pic
    pic

pic

what do you think caused this? looks like i need a new valve sense the top is all mushroomed out. plus the rocker is riding off to the side /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

The valve doesn't look straight in the pic,,, is the valve bent?? or the guide worn out,,,can you move the valve from side to side??

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it looks like the tip of the valve stem is mucked. I would not drive it until you pull the head and repair the valve. having the stem all beat up like that could cause the keepers to pop out, Then you will have large problems as the valve will fall down into the Cylinder.... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I couldnt see the photos,but I know what you are describing--I had a 454 with the same symptoms--it turned out to be bad cam lobes and lifters with concave bottoms making the rocker arm slide sideways as it hit the valve sten,even with giude plates(which were all hogged out too).The valve sten was worn some,but being cheap and broke as usual I filed it square,put in a new cam and lifters,and sold the motor for 400 bucks a few weeks later when I heard wrist pins or pistons making noises--- /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif--it should have had a valve job at least,or better yet a complete rebuild. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

IMHO

The plastic deformation going around looking like a gear is from the misaligned rocker. The exhausts valve stem itself spins around, so the rocker destroyed the top all the way around. You probably bent your pushrod causing the misalignment. Or simply the rocker had enough play and it liked being on the side. You should probably replace the rocker and pushrod too.