Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem with steering arm stud

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MaxCrack, Oct 11, 2001.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

OK, I was hoping to have this axle rebuilt by today, and actually on the truck Saturday. But I can not get the damn steering arm off because one of the nuts broke, but left the cone end, locking the stud in place. I tried taking the whole stud out but that turned out to be a bad idea. It twisted right off about a half inch above the remains of the nut. It's a dana 60, so i can not just remove all the other studs and turn the stud out with the steering arm. I have a new arm on the way for crossover steering, so a little damage to old one is acceptable, but I do not want to damage the knuckle.

Any ideas?

I was thinking of doing the York thing and getting an air hammer and a chisel. I kind of needed an excuse to put in a York. heheh

Some days I just pray for spontaneous combustionhttp://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TORCH!!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

why cant you take the other studs out and turn the am to get it out?
    that is what i did on my 60 last week.
    had to pull the brake caliper mount off to get it out of the way and it came off easy.
    sounds like you are going to have to take the knuckle to a machine shop to remove the broken stud anyway. unless you are brave and willing to risk damaging the knuckle