Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

problem with the Front end and brakes

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 84CUCV, Jan 20, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

First there is a shimmy in the wheel when i hit the brake. the wheel goes back and forth. The tie rods and all that seams tight. the pass. side wheel is a little loose from when i jacked it up. Wheel bearings i think. I was thinking it might be warped rotors?? maybe? how do icheck or can you just see it? the master cylinder has rust below it. you know i dont even know what it is called. i can get a pic of it. So do i need a new master cylinder or what? As always thanks for the help guys!!

mike

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Warped rotors. I need to upgrade mine. Check your rear brakes, also. It seems that when my rears get out of adjustment, it puts too much load on the fronts, and cause them to overheat, warping the rotors.

3. 84CUCV

OK Great more $$$ i dont have. thx any idea about the master?

4. 84CUCV

anyone else???

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I agree on the warped rotors. The bearings on these trucks are seal one piece units. Must buy whole hib to replace ($600 at dealer, per side). They are usally good for 200-400k miles depending on service duty.
    Don't buy cheap rotors, get a good brand like bosch or raybestos. The $30 china rotors will warp within 2000mi.
    What year and vehicle are we talkin' here?
    Rust below the master? On the inside /outside? The master should be plastic with an aluminum barrel, not much chance for rust? If the fluid looks rusty, then your lines are distigrating and the rust discolors the fluid.

6. 84CUCV

Thanks for the reply. I took a pic of it so you could see. Please let me know what you think. I sure have no idea. Look here:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/chevycucv

The truck is a 98 C1500 not a 4x4. has a 305.

thanks mike

Also, is it OK to drive it still? My only truck on the road right now.

7. 84CUCV

anyone else??

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Ahh..ok, that looks like the booster has some rust. Can you poke a screwdriver through it? Better yet, does it still hold vacuum? Probably not much to worry about until holes start appearing there.Those things are pretty thick. Even then you'll just loose boost, you won't loose the brakes, just will have to push harder (equivlient to manual brakes).
    Those lines look a little rusty though, but not terrible. I'd be more worried because those in the protected engine compartment look like that, what do the lines look like on the frame rail? Just might want to be something you might want to look at.
    Change your rotors and you should be set.