Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem with winch???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PRITCHETTK, Jan 22, 2006.

1. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK Registered Member

I have a warn m8000, I thought I had everything hooked up right but I guess I dont! I had the red and black battery cables hooked up to the battery. Well the black(neg) cable melted the connector when I tried to winch in. All connections were tight. Well now if the neg cable is hooked to the battery it wont work unless I have the winch in reverse. If I take the cable loose from the battery and just leave it there it will work until it gets tight, when I am pulling in and it gets tight the winch just stops , and my battery gauge goes to 0? I cant figure out whats going on. Anyone know how to fix this?

2. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

melted connector at the battery or winch?

3. PRITCHETTK

it melted the connector that was on the neg cable connected to the battery from the winch.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

he's asking, on the black(neg)cable, which end of the cable has the melted connector.....battery end or winch end.

5. PRITCHETTK

it melted the connector that hooks up to the battery.

6. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

did you cut off the melted terminal and replace it? or is the battery terminal messed up, too? also, did you replace any of the solenoids? or test 'em to see if they're functioning properly?

the below image was in warn's user manual for the m8000.

m8000 wiring.jpg

7. PRITCHETTK

well the winch was used so I replaced 2 of the solenoids and tested and everything was working fine. I cut off the bad terminal and hooked it back up to the battery, it will work, but as soon as it takes in all the slack and the cable gets tight it just stops winching in and my voltage meter in the truck goes down to like 0 and sometimes the truck dies. I can't find a wiring diagram for a warn m8000 anywhere. I wanted to make sure the person that had this winch before me had everything hooked up ok. This is very frusterating.

8. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Side post or top post?

Side post are usually not rated for the high amp continous use such as winching.

10. PRITCHETTK

Well the battery I have is a Duralast Gold about 3 months old and it is side post so maybe that has something to do with it. I dont understand why it kills the power to the truck and makes it die though! Its like the winch has no power when the cable gets tight.

11. PRITCHETTK

BAHHH I dont understand what is wrong, does anyone have a picture of a warn m8000 the way the solenoids are supposed to be wired>? I dunno what to do!