Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problem With Winchester Win Clean .45 ACP in 1911

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Resurrection_Joe, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I havent smoothe out the feed ramp or modded my 1911 yet, and it feeds FMJ round nose like no ones business, along with Hydra Shoks

It hangs once in a great while on the cheaper FMJ

This Win Clean Stuff though, god, 3 times a clip, I imagine it's the square face, but yesterday I noticed that the casing bulged out a bit where the bullet was in the cartridge, and I think that's what's causing it not to chamber. It will cycle all the way but leave about a quarter inch of the chamber open.

So whats the deal, polish up the feed ramp, heavier recoil spring?

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

,With the barrel removed, does a loaded round drop freely into the chamber? If not, you may have a chamber cut on the small side of manufacturing tolerances. Or it may be a bad lot of ammo. Polishing your feed ramp might help, but I'd say polishing the chamber might be a better bet. Hell, polish 'em both. Brownells sells chamber polishing "flex-hones". p/n 080-608-145, $21.77.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

if your discribing what I am thinking, the "problem" was corrected by you pushing the slide all the way forward.

this generally means that it is either:

A. a weakened spring (happens to people who store their guns with the slide locked back, or the stupid stores who use those plasitc safety tabs)

B. Defective barrel- however, stuck is usually not the problem, they only get bigger with use. So im ruling that out for now, since you dont have problems with other ammo.

C. a bad batch of ammo. It would seem like the factory might have been a little bit too forceful with the bullet mating to the casing. I had one of those today (just one though). It wouldnt even fit when I tried to put it by hand.

4. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    it feeds FMJ round nose like no ones business, along with Hydra Shoks

This Win Clean Stuff though, god, 3 times a clip,

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be a combination of things. Is this Win Clean a lighter load? The bullet shape could be part of it as well, but if it's a lighter load it might be the spring. The standard spring may be too heavy. Fire a couple of the other loads and take note of the reaction and where the cases land. Follow up with the Win Clean and see if there is any difference. If the cases are falling short of the other loads the slide may not be getting enough reward velocity to return and push the next round all the way into the chamber. If you intend to continue to use this stuff you may need to drop down a few pounds on the spring.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hey guys I forgot about this post, thanks for all the help, I'll look into it now that it's warm enough to stand around outside

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Warm? We go shooting in the snow around here!!