Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problematic Np208

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by michaelkohel, Dec 25, 2006.

1. michaelkohel

michaelkohel Registered Member

On my way home from the oilfields yesterday, my np208 transfer case kept slipping out of 2hi and 4hi and only stays engaged in 4lo.today on my way out 80 miles, it wouldn't even engage in 2hi , in 4hi for only 10 mins at a time, but it stayed in 4 lo. i'd have to stop and work the shifter for 5 mins to get it to engage in 4hi. last night i smelled a foul burning smell when it kicked out of 2 hi. i used it alot the last 3 days in 4hi do to the rough terrain i work in and because of the snow and icy roads. it's on a 1986 chev surb i bought 2 months ago for 1300.00, it's got over 225,000 miles on it . help!!!!!mikey

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I will be in Vernal tomorrow....mabey I could come by and check it out.

Do you work for Halliburton?

3. michaelkohel

I work for freedom mudlogging. thanks chaddy but i'm stuck on a well for another 2 or 3 days so i won't make it in tommorow

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

mine did same thing. pull the tcase drain plug. i bet you get extra parts with the oil. she is blown up. mine blew out a bearing. i swaped in a 205 in place.

5. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

What is mudlogging? :confused:

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Same thing happened to me. The tail housing cracked and fried the internals... Time for a new case/ rebuild:crazy:

7. michaelkohel

Mudlogging is where i sit in a mobile laboratory and monitor gas and read rock on the side of a drilling rig on holes from 5000'-12000' feet deep, while they are drilling for gas or oil. i collect rock samples at 30 foot intervals as they are drilling down.i have equipment hooked up to the drilling the reads the gas coming out of the drilling fluid-mud they use to clean the hole out and keep the bit cool as they are drilling. it usually takes the drilling rig 10-15 days to drill a 9000 foot hole and then they move it usually in a day. Drilling rigs are monstrous contraptions any wheres from 90 up 150 feet tall. the bigger the rig the deeper it can go. the natural gas we are looking for is the stuff that gets piped into your homes.

8. michaelkohel

thanks.mikey