Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems associated with truck sitting for a loing time...?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Apr 19, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well my truck has been sitting for about a month now...And I am going to be draining the oil and replacing the rear main seal this weekend...Chanches are the truck won't run for another few weeks...When I go to start it, what should i do as to not hurt the engine? Should I leave the oil out of it until the day I start it? Thanks for the help...

Chris

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I left mine sitting for nearly 3 years. All I did was change the oil and spray some starter fluid down the carb. It ran a little rough for a few minutes, but evened out and ran good.

3. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

i don't think that it sitting for a month will do anything bad to it. if you are really worried, find an old distributer shaft and rig it so you can hook a drill up to it. by turning the shaft, it will turn the oil pump and prime the engine. that will ensure that you have oil right there and ready to go when you do turn it over.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whatever you do, DO NOT leave the oil out of it until you are ready to start it. That is how accidents happen. You might forget to add oil because you will be so excited then you know what happens next, WHAM a Rod exits out the side of the block, not a very good thing to have happen when you are excited, actually not a good thing to ever have happen for that matter.

5. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

A month?? geez and I thought u said a long-time! lol Really...i wouldn't sweat it...maybe just a lil rust on the rotors which will scrub off quick..I'd definetely leave oil in the motor and engine is good for 6months dependin on mileage. Priming the dirtibutor is always cheap insurance if u r stressin about it though.

6. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

I just started my 46 Chevy pickup today after sitting since September. Cranked it over slow, charged the battery, fired it up. Ran great, no problems.

7. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

the only thing i would worry about if i was going to have my truck sitting for a while would be theft and the city taking it

8. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

And check your blower motor housing for mouse nests..... easier to take it all out before you click it on and shred everything in there (mice included) trust me, not a fun job scooping mouse parts out of the ducts. Don't forget all the little things though, like tire pressure, fluid levels etc