Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems painting fiberglass top on 79 Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sandhills Blazer, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Sandhills Blazer

Sandhills Blazer Registered Member

I have a friend who is a painter. He painted the top on his 79 Blazer after sanding it smooth, primering it, doing all the things needed to get a good paint job. The top started out white and he changed it to black. Now after a little over a year the paint is cracking and peeling off. When you look at the bottom side of the chip you can see that the fiberglass is letting go of the primer and paint. What could be wrong? Is the black paint causing the fiberglass to let go due to heat? Oh, we live in good old hot SC. Has anyone had any experience sanding and painting the top on their blazer and got it to last? If so help me out with how you did it and what materials you used on the job. Thanks

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

On the underside of the chip itself is there flakes of 'glass. Might be the 'glass itself letting loose and taking paint w/ it. That is provided you have found any of the chips. I have wondered about this myself because my top is pretty dry looking on the top surface, like the resin of the glass is breaking down.

3. Sandhills Blazer

That's what is happening. We broke a piece of the curled up paint off to look at the under side and can see what looks like the glass fibers on the under side of the paint. What do we have to do to fix this problem? Can it be heat that is causing this or is it something else? Help anyone!!!!!

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

three options, find a new top(easiest), glass over the old top, medium. or go full convertable. best and hardest idea.

if you glass over the old top get the finest quality and weav you can. same with the resin. get the best stuff you can afford. follow mixing instructions EXACT on the resin. i work with this stuff every day.
    grant /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

IMO find a new top or get a soft top. Glassing over the whole thing is an option, I have been a bodyman for over 13 yrs and recently got out (2yrs helper, 5yrs just painting 2yrs combo, and 4 strictly body) And I would want no part of slabbing that much area. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif If I run into the same problem, Ill prob go soft top myself.

6. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Cover up the damaged top with spray on bed liner coating and have a nice textured cap.

7. Sandhills Blazer

Thanks for the information from everyone. I'll pass this on to my friend today. I have a 1986 military blazer for parts that still has the top. I'll just tell Gordon that he can have it and do all the work again to match it up to his pretty red 79 blazer with the black top. Thanks again.

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

That'd be nice...but it wouldn't stick to the top.

Another vote for either reglassing the top or go with a soft top /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yes it will...if it's prep'd right! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif My buddy did it to his and it looks great! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif It's the spray on rhino liner stuff tho. I don't know about the do it yourself stuff. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

If he's having problems with the fiberglass staying on the top, then the rhino line will come off also. Yes, prep does make a difference, but his prep surface is coming off.

11. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

DONT DO ANYTHING!!!

If the paint is falling off with parts of the fiberglass with it you need to repair the fiberglass top FIRST!!!!!

You will need to sand the entire top down to a layer of fiberglass that has not started to delaminate. Once that is done,
    go down to a marine store and buy a product called INTERLUX 2000. This is a two part epoxy that can be rolled on. It
    will create a near perfect surface that is perfect for painting AND it will also absorb into any parts of the fiberglass top that
    have started to delaminate that you may have missed. Use a palm sander - not a sanding disc - to prevent gouging the top.

Once the 2000 has cured (about 24 hrs) you can then go back over it with 300 grit paper then paint it any color you want. The
    paint will be nearly perfect. Infact, I have used another product from the same company called Briteside Polyurethane - it is UV stabilized
    and works awesome with the 2000. The colors available are nearly endless - again, check with a marine supply store.

Here is a link so some fiberglass work I have done (and am still doing).

http://www.geocities.com/pennyan82/index.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Chris, why Interlux 2000 instead of 1000?

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Way cool stuff! I learn something new everyday! I didn't think to look at a marine supply shop! I am going to smooth my full removable top and I was wondering how to go about doing it correctly. Thanks for the info! I have done body work for some time, but not too much fiberglass stuff. This will help out a lot!

14. 1986Blazer

2000 is more or less a epoxy barrier coat and 1000 is used for repair of fiberglass damage.......

Plus, 2000 is MUCH cheaper. 1000 is about $45 a qt.

Chris

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Chris. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. Sandhills Blazer

Thanks Chris and everyone else who responded, now I know why I joined this group of most helpful folks. I told my friend that you guys and girls would come through with a solution to our problem. Now all we have to do is get the supplies and go to work if he doesn't want to use the top from my 1986 military blazer. Thanks again for all the help from everyone.

17. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

use a good resperator when sanding, that stuff gets in your lungs it ain't coming out. a tyvex suit is a good idea ? good luck

18. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Just an FYI, these tops aren't just fiberglass. They are a plastic/fiberglass composite. Yes, even way back in '73, same thing. (Not sure about the '69-72's). What your probably seeing coming off, just like my '73, is the textured top layer. (after my lazy butt didn't want to air down a couple of tires to ease it into the garage, it scraps the header just a wee bit going in...) No big deal, that layer is mostly just for looks anyhow. Like one other guy said, sand it down completely to a layer that is solid. Take a scraper to it if need be. If it comes off with a light scraper, then it won't hold the paint for long...

BlazerMan

19. 1986Blazer

Respirator - YES

Tyvex suit - NAH

Fiberglass dust is not too bad, even if inhaled. You may not want to breath in alot and a respirator is
    SUGGESTED!!! A Tyvex suit is not needed. Just use long sleeve shirts and jeans when sanding. Just be careful
    of uncured Epoxy resin - that stuff is very bad. Always use rubber gloves when applying epoxy and use long
    sleeves. If you get it on you just use Acetone to get it off as fast as you can. It does not react badly with skin but
    you will develope a reaction over time. The more you are exposed the sooner you will develop a reaction. It is
    kinda like poison ivy. You may not get a rash the first or second time you touch it but you will get a rash
    eventually. The epoxy is the best method, 2000 is an epoxy barrier/primer and works great. Give it a try and also,
    try to do it in the garage or other cover. Applying resins in direct sunlight is not good. That is all......

Chris

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

We used a fiberglass sealer/glaze. Like you would use on a boat to repair cracks. sanded. primered. painted. It still has texture just has bubble looking spots and turned out pretty well.[​IMG]