Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems removing stock steering arm

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by achuskies69, Mar 8, 2001.

1. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> ok i got the drag link off, loosened up all the stuff on the stock steering arm....wont budge, so i beat the living $#@!%@$# out of it.......still wont budge!!! What the hell do i need to do??? Please help i need to get this lift finished before Sunday...and the way im going....its gonna take a miracle..

<font color=green> I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

2. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I hope this helps.

1 Turn your wheel all the way to the right. Since your steering arm is off you will have to do it by hand. Go to the passenger side and turn the wheel. It takes a little muscle but you can do it.

2. Take your nuts off of your steering arm.

3. Spray some penetrating oil on the remaining bolts. Then lightly tap the bolts.

4. Get a big hammer. Construction hammers won't do it.

5. Beat down on the arm where the draglink was attached. I know, it sound wierd but that is what you do. The little cone washers should start to come out.

6. Hit the stearing arm once or twice from the bottom and then go back to hitting down on the stearing arm.

It should come off pretty easy. I think mine took about 5 good hits to get it loose and then a couple up followed by about 5 more to get the arm off.

Watch the cone washers. If you mess them up you will have to buy new ones.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mine took a heck of alot more then 5 hits. We got a torch and heated it up a little too. Then after about 20 minutes of 2 guys taking turns on hitting it. It started to loosen up.

Become one with nature...............Then marinate it...

4. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I had to use an impact hammer. Once I figured that out it only took 5 minutes.

5. gokartergo

Impact hammer is a good idea. I wish I would have thought of it at the time..

Become one with nature..............Then marinate it..

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Mine took two days to get off. I would suggest you soak the hell out of it with some PB Blaster. Then get the biggest mini sledge you can find and beat the tar out of it. Like I said it took two of us two days and two cans to get it loose. Once you get that far it isnt hard from there.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

7. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

It took 2 days of being pissed before that lightning bolt hit me.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but you have to smack straight down on the arm, in the area where the arm is bolted to the knuckle. I leave the nuts loosely threaded while hammering, so as to not damage the threads on the studs. Use penetrating oil to help loosen things, and keep whacking it! Those little cones react to the impact and will start to walk up the studs so you can get it apart.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, just "beat it off", literally speaking!!!!

10. achuskies69

<font color=green> I beat the hell out of the thing for an hour and a half with a 5lb mini sledge and went through a whole bottle of that PB Breaker....im gonna work on it when i get home from school today.... might have to find dad's torch setup and heat it up...

[​IMG]

11. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

had the same problem, made some phone calls, and was told to heat it up lots, then quench it with water, and repeat a few times....came right off once the cone bushings lossened up.....was off in about 20 min...ED

12. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Just heat the [censored] out of it untill its glowing red hot...but try not to heat up the nuckle...then wack the hell out of it....When the cones come loose pull them out with some pliers and set em aside...and the steering arm sould lift right off....it took me about 3 hrs to get mine off....

"Hondas look good under a k5's tires"

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Many have had success by striking the side of the arm, at 90 degrees from the way it should come off. FWIW...

<font color=blue>"Guys aren't able to get $15-20million a year anymore, so you have to play for the love of the game." --Penny Hardaway (Orlando Magic)</font color=blue>

14. Lpasotx

Lpasotx Registered Member

SMACK THE SH*T OUT OF IT GO UP WITH THE HAMMER TWICE AND TWICE DOWN WITH THE HAMMER TILL IT COMES OFF WD-40 MIGHT HELP IVE TAKEN 3 OFF SOME TIMES IT TAKES 15 MIN. AND SOMETIME IT TAKES 3 HOURS

15. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

As a last resort you can order a stud and cone washer kit from ORD for 30 bucks. I would suggest that anyway cause yours is many years old and it is your steering after all. So with the new studs in hand I took a sawzall and cut the studs off flush with the top of the cones, center punched each stud then took a 3/8 drill bit and drilled down about an inch into each stud. Then take a punch and bend one side of the cone towards the center and it will come right out. No cussing involved, it just cost 30 bucks. Good luck.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I must say that is one fine lady in that cowboy hat [​IMG].

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

17. gokartergo

Did you get it off?

Become one with nature..........Thenmarinate it..

18. achuskies69

<font color=green> No i have had no luck taking it off, i worked on it for another hour or two yesterday, no progress. I am going to have to get a torch setup or find an impact hammer today. All i lack on the lift is the rear and the brake lines and the $#@# steering arm....
    did u guys have to drill out the rivits in the frame on the brake line brackets?

[​IMG]

19. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I have personally removed 4 of the factory arms. I have never had to heat one of them nor did I cut or drill anything. Remove the three nuts. Soak well with penetrating oil. Turn the knuckle all the way to the left. Take a sledge hammer and hit the arm up and down where the steering drag link was attached. Beat the he// out of it. Then turn the knuckle all the way to the right. Use a brass drift (nothing more than a 1/2" brass rod) and strike the arm from the bottom with the drift and the hammer. There is a small flat spot that you can strike on. Repeat these steps a few times and I guarantee you WILL see the cone washers begin to loosen. Use a pair of channel lock pliers and turn the cone washers as if you were unthreading them. This whole process should take no more than 20 to 25 min. You can then safely reuse the studs, washers and nuts. Good luck and don't give up. todd

20. gokartergo

I replaced the brake line brackets.........Cheap part

Become one with nature..............Then marinate it