Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems starting 88 toyota pickup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stin4555, Aug 17, 2004.

1. stin4555

stin4555 Newbie

My truck is an 88 toyota 2wd pickup it has the 22R. Recently when coming to a stop when I push the clutch in it wants to die on me unless I give a little bit of gas and then it idals fine. Now over the last few days I have a problems starting it. It is turning over and it comes close to starting but won't. I have found however that after trying for awhile if I stop giving it gas it finally starts. Any clues as to my problem. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the battery and is probably something to do with the carberator. Then again what do I know. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

This is a bad place for questions on Toyotas being that it is a fullsize Chevy board..

Try over here --> PBB Toyota forum

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is so many things it could be. When i had my 88 celica i had the same type of issues it ended up being the ECM had a bent pin on it. But before i relized that i replaced prety much every sensor. My buddies olds did this same thing ended up being fuel pump. Start simple, but id try a toy board over a chevy board. Here we run over trucks like yours /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Good luck!!!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well since this is a GM board. K5 = full size blazer. Your probably not going to feel the love here but I also own a Toyota 4Runner so here is some stuff to check.

Lots of things it could be but the first thing I would check is EGR. A EGR sticking open will cause thos symptoms. Toyota uses a funky litte control on the EGR. Its a dissdk with 4 connections. one goes down to the exhaust manifold, one to the EGR valve and the other two are to port vacuum. Start by looking at the vac diagram under the hood and make sure all those lines are connectred properly.
    I the top of the disc is a filter under the lid that the sticker is on. It just snaps on but it's tough to get off. It should be white or maybe yellow. If it's black and full of black dust then the diaphram is cracked and it's junk. Go find a new one.

If it's not black then unplug the hose going to the EGR valve and test it and see if you can get it to have a problem. You might get a engine light. The ECM is expecting to see a mixture change when the EGR opens. Drive till you verify the problem is or isn't hapening. If it doesn't happen then either the disc is bad OR the EGR pintle is jaming. So far I have see three bad control discs and no bad EGR valves.

No change then it's time to get a book and start testing stuff. If that thing still has the factroy computer carb it's got a lot of stuff on it that can cause issues.

www.pirate4x4.com has a pretty active toy forum but fair warning......it's a hardcore groupe and newbies get hazed...Best to keep your yap shut and take it.
    http://www.yotatech.com/ is not a bad forum but not as fast moving.

5. stin4555

stin4555 Newbie

Thanks for the for the help I'll try those other sites...I'm starting to think its my Fuel pump.