Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems starting truck, but good battery and alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerFarm, Apr 23, 2004.

1. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

When I try to start my 90 K5 I get full dash lights as I turn the key (Check Engine Soon, Battery, Brake) but when I turn the key all the way I don't get anything happening at the starter. No noise, no clicking, or anything. I have power in the battery and a new alternator that I replaced about 8 days ago. I have full headlights, dome, and dash lights.

It worked this morning but now that I'm at work it just won't do anything at all. I've driven it all week.

Any ideas?
    --Don

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Either battery cables to the starter, or the starter.

Usually it's the starter solenoid that craps out -- they're famous for it, heatsoak from the exhaust manifold.

I carry a short length of 2x4" in my Blazers; among the myriads of uses for it is to bang the starter solenoid when it fails to engage... then drive to the nearest GM dealer and get another.

I'm partial to the Delco's; since I started buying them I've stopped replacing the starters. Other people will tell you otherwise.

Oddly, the GM dealer advised me against the fancy high-torque ones, saying that a stock truck such as mine would be happier with the regular starters. So far, he's right (two out of three have Delco's, and the third is jsut waiting... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

-- A

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I had a similar thing happen on side post battery terminals and it was the posts that had corroded so bad that when I went to take the cables off they just broke. In that instance I'd driven home for lunch and when I went to leave 45min later, nothing.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Your switch maybe bad? You check to make sure you have voltage at the solenoid? Try that and whackin the starter is always fun. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

5. BlazerFarm

Thanks. I was about to take a small hammer to it to see if that was the problem. I just thought that there would be at least some noise of a dying solenoid. I got nothing.

Actually, I noticed that this morning it kind of dragged a little on starting. I just thought it was because it was a little cool out this morning.

6. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Agreed, I'd start with cleaning battery/starter connections. If that doesn't work, check voltage on solenoid (small "start" terminal). If voltage is proven (with key in start position), try dropping your starter, removing solenoid, disassemble solenoid & flip over the large brass contact washer, reassemble & give it a try. You can always try the screwdriver across main batt & start terminals.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm partial to the Delco's; since I started buying them I've stopped replacing the starters. Other people will tell you otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I'd be one of those guys. AC Delco used to make a very high quality product, but now they're farming it out to other companies anyway. AC Delco's quality has dropped significantly as a result.

Any that you find at an auto parts store are just as good as the ones you buy at the dealer, and I wouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise.

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Do the lights dim or go out when you try to engage the starter?

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

If you are getting current to your starter from the battery cable and current to the solenoid with the key on start but the starter wont crank replace the starter or at least have it tested /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BlazerFarm

[ QUOTE ]
    You can always try the screwdriver across main batt & start terminals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a couple of nicely notched screwdrivers in the toolbox from trying that trick in the past.

Looks like I'll be pulling that starter and getting it bench tested. Thanks again.

11. BlazerFarm

[ QUOTE ]
    Do the lights dim or go out when you try to engage the starter?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope, full headlights with no dimming when trying to start. Starter/solenoid never even engaged. No noise or anything.

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

will it turn over if you jump the terminals on the solenoid?

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Nope, full headlights with no dimming when trying to start. Starter/solenoid never even engaged. No noise or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure the ignition switch is actually trying to engage the starter?

14. BlazerFarm

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are getting current to your starter from the battery cable and current to the solenoid with the key on start but the starter wont crank replace the starter or at least have it tested /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, it seemed like the starter wasn't getting power but it was. However, when I beat around on it I was finally able to get it to turn over and I was able to get it home. Of course, now I can't start it again and it is finally starting to make some dying starter noises. I'll pull it this weekend and get it and the solenoid bench tested.

I've had starters go out before but never one that didn't give any death noises or grinding or anything. That's what stumped me. I thought I had some kind of electrical problem. Looks like it is the starter after all.

Thanks again everyone for the help. That's why I just renewed my CK5 membership a couple of weeks ago. Great people.
    --Don

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're getting noise, I'd replace the whole unit. Sounds like you're having solenoid and motor problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif