Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems Tubbing the Black Bear. Opinions needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Nov 8, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

OK, got the Springer Suspension going in this weekend. Then, i need to mount the shocks (still might go through the bed) I called summitt this morning and had a chat about their steel 40" tubs.

It is 24" wide, 40" long, ??"height. Running 39.5's or possible 42's in the future, they would barely work. I know Hazel tubbed his Ramcharger in 4WOR a few months back with 42's.

So does it sound like it is worth it? I would hate to hack it all to piece then run during he Mud season w/o wheel tubs. I'm dumb, but not crazy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Well what about extending the factory wheelwells by welding a piece to it?I have 38's and they stuff into the wheelwell nicely.I really don't care for the "tub" stuff,too thin and not strudy enuff.Are you running your shocks above the center of the diff?Mike

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i am trying to achieve the impossible. I want place my shocks are verticle and as far out on the axle tubes as possible for lateral satbility. To do this, i have realized i must go through the bed. But i am recieveing different opinions on the feasibility and useful dampening in a off road application of running that shocks that way.

I agree with the tubing. but it is necessity at this point. maybe wait to see exactly where they rub and go from there. dunno.

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I say wheel it and see where it rubs.Rather than puttin in complete wheel tubs I think I would just widen the stock ones.Seems like less work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

great...where do i get more? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Biggest thing that I see is that you will only have 15" of travel if you are mounting them straight up.Alot of rock crawlers are in the 30's for travel.So I guess it's not being built for that.My stock wheelwells do scrape the tires,but I'm running 15.50" wide tires on 4" B.S.'d rims.I'd say build them to the frame rails to be safe.Mike

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Zakk,

I'd bet that the Summit tubs would work fine - as long as they're larger than your stockers. Fact is, the whole tire (lets say you decide to go to 42's) will never totally get all the way up in that fender well. Only the top portion of it will. Really, you don't need any more room in the "diameter" of the well, you just need more "width" because the inside of the tire will stuff so far in there and the tire will be at an angle.

Like Frizz mentioned, you could always just cut it out and then build your own wells as you see fit once you figg'r out how much clearance you need. Shane (smp) has done one of the best "tub" jobs I've seen, and I think he built the tubs himself...
    [​IMG]

Marv

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Marv, i know you are a great guy and make a great product...

BUT THAT IS ONE SEXY RED X!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

got a link?

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

nm...i got it.

i like them, what size tire is he running there??