Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems usually never just go away...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, May 18, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

but I cant figure this out. This truck I bought for $400 on Friday...
    [​IMG]
    The guy said the motor was bad (just your average 350). He said water (coolant) was pouring out the drivers side exaust, and a valve was sticking, and he had #6 plug wire off so it would run without backfiring so much. It sat for 2 years.

Then I got it. Towed it home. 2 plugs looked wet. I changed the carb and plugs. It runs, doesnt backfire, doesnt smoke, and theres no hint of it burning coolant (all plugs dry and burning perfectly).

The thing couldnt have fixed itself. It seems to run ok considering the gas is 2 years old. I think I'm going to license it and start driving it.

It also had a gas leak down by the switchover valve. Today it stopped leaking.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Strange, but in a good way at least.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

The same thing happens with my friends jeep... they're will be a strange noise or something will be wrong, and if he just ignores it, it usually "fixes" itself... im afriad its like a person bottling up emotions... evetually the jeep is just gunna fall apart. "serenity now!"

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

hey dont knock it lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    He said water (coolant) was pouring out the drivers side exaust, and a valve was sticking, and he had #6 plug wire off so it would run without backfiring so much. It sat for 2 years.

Then I got it. Towed it home. 2 plugs looked wet. I changed the carb and plugs. It runs, doesnt backfire, doesnt smoke, and theres no hint of it burning coolant (all plugs dry and burning perfectly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Could it have been raw gas coming out of the exhaust? I know someone should be able to tell the diff between water and fuel, but I know some 'not so bright' people, and wondering if this is the case. If carbon deposits had the intake valve stuck open, the carb could have just been pouring gas unregulated into the cylinder, explaining the wet plugs and discharge from the exhaust. The shock of running after sitting for 2 years may have shaken the carbon loose, and everything is on point now. Probably not the case, but a possibility. Either way, good deal for you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

who cares! drive it till it breaks and then strip it for parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

congrats by the way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Yeah, for 400 bucks just accept the fact that it runs now and drive it till it dies. That truck looks like a pretty good deal for 4 bills...

7. mountainexplorer

The first picture above is the good side. This is the bad side:
    [​IMG]
    But, theres not a spot of rust in the whole truck except for the front right fender.

As far as the motor goes, the two wet plugs definitely looked wet from coolant. And the radiator was near empty, and he had a half used gallon of coolant in the engine compartment.

But since I've filled the radiator and run it, it hasnt gone down a bit.

Originally I bought it to part it out, but I think I changed my mind. I'm gonna drive it for a while, do some fixing, and re-sell it as a half ton (I want to keep the Dana 44 front that he had all rebuilt and the 14 bolt rear that is supposed to be a posi according to the sticker in the glove box).

8. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

Sweet a truck that fixes it's self. Oh ya if the dents start poping out by them selves Be afraid be verry afraid /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

man thats a pretty solid looking truck..my dads got a 79 3/4 4x4 and its pretty solid but the core supports have colapse on one side and its sagging really bad..gatta fix that. and with that and the frame being slightly bent in the front from plowing in its preveis years...its really a sight!

10. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Keep an eye out for a cracked head. Does it run any different if #6 is plugged in or is it a dead cylinder?

Put a nice stereo in the truck, and if it starts making a lot of racket just crank up the volume /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. mountainexplorer

everything is firing nice and clean. No noises except a possible lifter... that or a small crack in the flexplate. Not loud though. Other than that, it's quiet. No steam, no smoke.

In fact, I'm planning on attempting to use it this week to tow my car trailer with another truck on it to our property 85 miles away. I say theres a 60% chance I'll make it w/out problems. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif