Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems with 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Aug 14, 2001.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

Heres the thing,
    compression check shows NO comp in one and marginal in two more cylanders, mechanic says it needs a valve job.
    BUT it is burning some oil, so possibly rings are bad, as well.
    We cannot do a compression check for the rings with bad valves.
    Is there another way to tell if the rings are bad besides that?
    IT may not be worth a new engine, it also needs body work that w/o a garage I can't do myself in the winter. (I figured out that to replace the tailgate will run me about $400 if I did it myself.)
    Thanks, you guys haev really been helpful sofar.
    -Tom

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

i've heard if it smokes under accelaration it is the rings, if it just smokes a little otherwise i've heard it is the valves. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. later - doug

Doug Krebs

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The way to tell if it is rings or not that is causing the bad comp. is to squrt some oil into the sparkplug hole and recheck the comp. If it goes up than it is bad rings. If it doesn't go up than it is the valves. I am assuming that that was done and that is why the valves are suspected. I would say that if the comp was withen spec. on the rest of the cylinders than the rings are good.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust