Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems with 502 ram jet

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roostr34, Mar 24, 2004.

1. roostr34

roostr34 Registered Member

Well, where do I begin. The motor has been in for about a year and a half. Since motor was running, I have had problems with the rear main leaking...not bad, but it would leave a small puddle whenever parked for a while. I think this is the caused from oil pan being notched out to fit around the crossmember. I believe when they fabbed it, it was never mounted to anything so it took on a new shape, not noticeable to the naked eye. The latest setback is the heads. I was in the process of installing an o2 sensor. While pulling the comp. off the intake, i noticed antifreeze puddled up on the front of the motor in front of the intake. I decided to pull the motor at that point for closer inspection. When I pulled the intake, i found puddles of antifreeze under the intake. when i pulled the heads the cylinders were full of antifreeze. I took the heads to a local motor guy who does some great work. heads were warped from corner to corner and end to end. The motor has less than 500 miles on it. My motor guy just resurfaced the heads and has talked me into going with roller rockers and lash caps also, i should get these today. Should i go ahead and pull the bottom end of the motor apart also?.......I am leaning in that direction just to be on the safe side. He also said as rich as this motor is running, it could cause some serious long term effects. AS much money as i have in this motor I probably should have built a motor instead. Any comments would be appreciated.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a comment...go back to GM and show the piece of sh!t they sold you and get a new one, get it repaired for free, or get some money back. Those motors are under warranty right? It better for having an $8,000 price tag.

3. roostr34

I couldnt agree more, problem being is there is a very limited warranty on this motor, which i should have seen as a sign not to buy the motor in the first place. But everything u said, believe me.....I'm there.

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

What kind of warranty do these motors have?

5. roostr34

performance motor- 1 year/12,000 mile- very limited coverage

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So you said you have about 500 miles on the motor so far making it still covered under warranty. What does the warranty cover? Warped heads are not your fault as long as you never let it get hot and should be replaced by GM. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You probably shoulda taken it back when the rear main started leaking. But hindsight is 20/20, I just wish I had an injected 502 to bitch about... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

He said its been in a year and a half. I guarantee GM's warantee doesn't stipulate that either/or have to be met, whichever comes first ends the warranty. (I'm assuming GM dealer, but maybe not?)

With that few miles on it, I would probably talk to the place I bought it from. I wouldn't get huffy with them, I guarantee they don't want to eat any $$ from it, and in reality, they have no idea you weren't beating the heck out of it for that time, but MAYBE whoever you dealt with can have the repair costs taken care of.

If it was GM, and the dealer won't do squat for you, talk to the mechanic, see if he will write down everything that happened to the engine, cost to fix, and go to GM.com or whatever, and write them an email, perhaps take it further if you can find good contact info.

As much as those engines cost, they should bend over backwards to make their customer happy. Unfortunately, the way GM operates anymore, from what I've seen, they could care less once they have your money. But it's always worth a shot.

9. roostr34

Yeah, I already spoke with the dealer, and their reply was basically 1 yr or 12,000 miles whichever comes first. I will just bite the bullet on this one, I just hope after all the work is done I dont have anymore major problems..

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

wow. that sucks,my friend had a 502 not a ram jet though and forgot to put oil in it.when he started it and raged on it he got a rod nock.he called the dealer and thet told him they wanted to hear it run. he took it to them and they told him to pull it and they gave him a new one. but with head modifications they probably won't work with you. this is off subject but look at the calender, can you make the mounds june 5th? CK5 get together, and do you know any KANDEAS, my uncle and cousins live in GR. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. roostr34

The mounds are down by flint? If so, there is a good chance i could make it. Never heard the name Kandeas but who knows. I will let u know if I am able to make the mounds. Sounds like a good time, never been there.