Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems With D44 Bearing Repacking....!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by waxer@work, Sep 24, 2000.

1. waxer@work

waxer@work Registered Member

It seems that after repacking my wheel bearings on the D44, after a while I get a squeaking noise from the hubs and I pull them apart to see that they are making a slight groove on the bottom part of the spindle. Now I followed the directions EXACTLY to the Haynes manual. I torqued it then backed it off like they said, then torqued it down again and backed it off again like it said. After I do that, I can wiggle the wheel as if the hub isnt tight enough. Which could be causing this squeaking noise. anyone ever repacked/replaced the wheel bearings and just tightened em up tight with no play or did you just follow the book like me and have no problems like I have? Let me know.....thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had to do mine when I replaced my ball joints. I tightened it the first time to seat the bearing, backed it off and re-tightened it a little to put some pre-load on it. I have no wiggle or squeaks, it sounds like you backed it off a little too much.
    HTH.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Are you saying you still have play and the rotor moves up and down or side to side?If this is the case I would say either it isn't tight enough or you have a bad bearing in need of replacing.I usually just tighten the bearing down while spinning the rotor untill the rotor spins freely with no wobble.Then when I go to put the lock washer on I will tighten the nut A little more until the lock washer fits correctly.That is another thing to look at are you getting the lock washer on correctly so the pin on the inner nut is in one of the holes on the washer.If not the inner nut could be backing out a touch a causing this.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

4. waxer@work

waxer@work Registered Member

yah, it seems that it was too loose to me as well. I didnt want to overtighten it, but I cant remember if I went forward with the 1st locknut to align the pin hole or back with it. I'll tighten it up and see what happens. thanks