Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems with Hydroboost(leaking) on 92 Suburban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TylerT, Sep 28, 2005.

1. TylerT

TylerT Registered Member

I'm starting to think I really made a mistake buying this truck. I'd love to get everything running well, but stuff keeps coming up. I heard a whining noise when steering yesterday. Went and looked at my ps pump, no fluid. So I filled it up, and ran it, only to find a nice leak. After searching all over for the source, I finally found it. Right where the master cylinder bolts to the hydroboost, uh thing. You know the thing that the hoses from the ps pump run to. I took the master cylinder off, and there's no gasket, none of the parts stores carry a gasket for that. Local GM dealer looked it up and they showed me a 'spacer' that I needed. Anybody have any experience with this system? 92 Sub 3/4ton, 454. Thanks a million in advance.

2. TylerT

TylerT Registered Member

After doin a little bit of searching, I think I may have to replace the unit..can anybody confirm that? I do have to disconnect it from the inside of the firewall, right? Thanks

3. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes it does come off from the firewall and the bolts or nuts are inside up by the brake pedal and if you want some experience before doing yours I will let you come and do mine. :D

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

with basic hand tools, and about 30 min, I did mine.

Hydroboost is great. Unfortunately, there are two problems that seem to occur-

1. Leaks- sometimes the little cylinder to its side pops off its thread. Not too much you can do about that, except use some thread tape, and try and screw it back in. It still may or may not stay.

2. The seals leak. You'll find leaky seals, the nice sized leak is from the little gap, right where your finger can reach under.

I took my old one apart- it is not as complex as you might think it is, and is really only about 5 seals- be careful when removing the rod though, it will shoot right out. Have a rag to catch it.

the rebuilt mega buck unit (I think it was about 300 bucks+ 100 core) just comes with new seals.

I keep a spare around, since I have two hydroboost trucks, but if you want to save a few bucks, you can mail me yours, and I'll exchange it at autozone for a new one. LOL. (Lifetime warranty baby).

5. TylerT

TylerT Registered Member

The little cylinder to its side, I'm still looking for that, what is it's purpose? Oh, and will the one from Autozone be any good? That one's not $300 is it?!

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Cylinder is a small hydraulic accumulator...gives you a couple of assists with the brakes when the engine stops, pump dies, etc.