Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems with my K5 starting... FIXED!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kia, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Hi there, thanks for looking,

I have a problem with my truck starting, i't making a 'clicking' sound when trying to strat it, I have used a booster on the battry and have also checked the 'coil' and 'dizzy cap'

I have checked everything down to the battry but the prblem is the starter motor (with the clicking) so changed it out and I'm still getting 'clicking' as if it's the starter trying to engage.

The question is...

Is there any other place I sould look, within that area (starter motor, near the crank) that I sould be looking?

Any help would be apprsiated as I'm in the Netherlands and have to get to the UK by Monday.

Thanks again,

Kia.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

well after my friends car and me swearing the sound you are explaining was the starter, i would take the battery out and have it checked first. could save some headache

3. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

I have checked the battery and there is enough power there, also have tried the booster to give it extra power.

I have also got under and 'jumped' the terminals on the solenoid to try to get it started.

Kia.

4. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Is there anything on the flywheel side i should be checking? maybe the engagement isn't engaging the teeth when it kicks out... dunno just trying to figure it out.

Kia.

5. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

The starter is not turning right? And you're just hearing a clicking noise from the solenoid? It sounds like either a bad solenoid, or you're not getting enough power to the starter to engage it. Check the main cable from the battery and make sure its in good shape.

6. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Cool, will have a look at the terminals first and work from there.

Been searching the forums and others have spoken about terminal but i didn't think that would cause that kind of problem.

Also would that explain the fact that before all this started it wouldn't start too well (cold or hot) and that when I have driven it and turned off the truck sit for 5 mins or so then try to start it again, it would just crank really slow or not start at all... I put it down to the starter but I guess I was wrong...

Checking terminal as we speak :wink1:

Kia.

7. terrier72

terrier72 1/2 ton status

My truck was doing the same thing recently, i checked everyting like you did and it turned out eventually to be the ignition module inside the distributor.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Check the batt cable connections at the other ends of the cables. It sounds like the ground or power wire are corroded inside the cable itself. If you replace both of the cables, your truck will start.

9. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

My truck would do that. All I had to do was keep an eye on it:wink1:

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

mine did that too.... the parts place sold me the wrong solenoid, but if yours was starting then stopped, this isnt the problem

11. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Fixed!

Thanks again to all who posted :laugh: :D :laugh:

In the end I checked the battery terminals and the (-) had some gunk in it also it looked as if something got in there (Liquid) and fused into the metal so I had to chip it off the terminal and the battery (it looked bad) and placed a washer (shim) between the terminal and battery...

And now it all works!!!!

Thanks again!

I gotta be honest though... I really didn't think it was gonna be that as the truck was getting power to lights etc, so didn't suspect the battery in any way, hence me buying a new starter, but again I was proved wrong! :bow:

I guess the moral of the story is... LISTEN TO YOUR ELDERS! :bow:

Kia.

12. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Are you calling me old?:thinking:

13. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

:haha:

14. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I really like the fact that so many people here are willing to help each other without all the attitude I see on other boards.

GO CK5!!!!!!