Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

problems with my power steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramjet gmc, May 22, 2004.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I am having problems with my power steering. I did add a small trans cooler in the return line thinking that that would help with the high temps I saw in the past. Overall it acts like is is low on PSF ----- any ideas the box is 1year old allso

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

You put a small tranny cooler to your pump?? If thats the case maybe it doesn't build enough pressure to run through the coils and provide enough by the time it hits the gear box???

3. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

he put it in teh return line..

did you add comperable amount of fluid for the apce you added with the cooler?

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Patric, are you running the ram assist yet? If you are not then I can't see why you are having such a problem unless there is a big air pocket in the system. This is pretty easy so try this first.

Jack up the front end and put it on jack stands.
    With the truck off, unhook the return line at the pump and hold it in the resivore hole on the pump.
    Have somebody in the driver seat just turning the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock.
    Do that for about 5 minutes and then hook the hose back up and top the fluid if needed.

After that see how it does. You can also try changing the fluid. If that does not work then you can try a remote resivore to help but I can't see why with just crossover steering you are having a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif