Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems with Shackle flip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mico85K5, Apr 12, 2000.

1. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

I am really wanting to do this to my K5 but don't really have the know how (tools). Went to a few good (I thought) shops and they don't even want to touch it due to liability.
    Has anyone had any problems with their flip? I have only heard the good news to this point and still want to try it. . .

Driving your blazer=FUN!

2. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Do you mean the do-it-yourself flip like Corey and others have done? Or the flip kit from ORD?

I'm going to do the do-it-yourself one, and the only issue I've been trying to solve is how to cut the hole while leaving the shackle hanger on. Plus I don't have a torch. Was thinking of drilling small holes in an oval shape or using a jig-saw with a metal bit? Then a round file bit on the ol cordless drill to clean it up. Why take the hanger off if I can help it right?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

3. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

Right, lets put our torchless heads together. . . any suggestions?

Driving your blazer=FUN!

4. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

I am fortunate enough to have friends with torches but heres' what i would do if i didnt'.. I would go down to the local rental place and rent a torch.. you know how you can rent loaders and post hole diggers.. well the place where we rented our post hole digger had torches to rent too

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Steve88, I think you're on to something. Lay out the cut line with a paint marker. Drill a 3/8" hole where one of the corners of the cut would be. Drill 1/4" holes around the rest of the cut line, leaving a bit of material between the line and the holes. Use a good (zirconium or titanium) bit with plenty of oil or cutting fluid, a variable-speed drill at a low speed, and goggles/glasses. Don't even bother with a cordless, you'll go insane changing batteries and probably kill it anyway. Beg, borrow, or buy (don't steal!) a good corded 3/8 drill--good investment. After the holes are drilled, use the jigsaw to cut around the perimeter, through the holes. Again, use oil, eye prot., and earplugs will help. Should work pretty well.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Good ole chain drilling! It works every time, but what a pain in the ass! A cut-off wheel could be another option.

7. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I tell you what i love the shackle flip i bought from ORD. It gives the blazer a much better ride than having just 6" springs. I wish i would have known about the tourch thing before i did mine though. It would have saved me all the headache of dropping the gas tank. I guess it was worth it though b/c i had to replace my sending unit thanks to the plastic tray that was in the gas tank. It broke away and destroyed the sending unit. Oh well i am rambling on.

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I don't know much about metals, but doesn't a torch affect the temper of the metal, making it weaker? Isn't it better to drill and cut out in the cold? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

9. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

No problems on mine to date and I give it HELL! Course Mine is also boxed and gusseted, did not like the look after cutting it out, not much metal left. Only problem is with the driveline angle, and you can fix that with a c/v shaft or rotating the pinion with new spring perches.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Registered Member

I have done this to two seperate trucks. One I cut the bottom out with a handheld cutoff wheel, the other with a dremel tool. I burnt the dremel tool up doing it. But that was fine, it was new. Took it back.....

I have had no problems with my flip to this date, aside from drive line angle a little like depdog said.

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Depdog,

What degree did you put your perches at? Can I use degree shims for now? What degree should the pinion angle be? Thats three for ya! LOL

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

12. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, cant remember on mine, was doing the quick math thing and trying to tack and hold the axle in place at the same time. I used 2.5 degree shims to shim it down and mine had very little vibration

You pinion should be within 1 degree of your output yoke on the tcase!

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

13. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

You're right, a torch will affect the hardness of the metal, but drills, grinders and saws can also build up enough heat to soften the metal. The best thing to do is to take your time; use low speeds, quench the metal, frequent breaks to let the metal cool...