Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Problems with turboed 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Scott39, May 13, 2005.

1. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

Has anybody, that put a turbo on a 6.2, have any major problems, like with the heads or manifolds?
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

The only problem I forsee would be putting a turbo on a tired 6.2. As long as your motor is in good shape, I don't think there would be any problems. Are you going to swap from a 6.5 or do a after market kit?

3. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

My buddy has a 6.2 with a turbo, it has 134k on it and he said he put the turbo on it years ago when it had low miles, and he told me that he hasn`t had any problems with it, I want to trade my 350tbi with 88k on it for his 6.2 turbo.
    He rolled his truck last year, but the motor is fine, he really doesn`t want to trade it, but I talked him into it.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Make sure you have a working EGT gage, and drive by it, you will be fine (1100* MAX). You do have to pay close attention to maintenance, it's a little more detail intensive than a gasser or NA. I routinely pull a heavy arse load (albeit slowly...hehe), No real issues, 165K on the motor.

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Mine truck has 250000...i think no way of knowing i havent seen the guy i bought it from in a while, he had the truck since 90 its a 83. It runs way hot alot, I dont have a EGT guage but i know the motor is close to its end...the knocking has been gettin worse, Ive always planned to just get a new motor anyway, so not to concerned with how this one dies

6. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

I woudn`t be doing any towing, just driving to the trails and doing easy to hard trails, in my 91 blazer.

7. clancy84

clancy84 Registered Member

my 6.2 with a banks has been pretty good for its 194k miles. it can be a huge pain to work on, everything is packaged in an unfriendly manner. for example the factory passenger side battery is a side post case, and the turbo airbox wedges right up against it, so getting those teminals on and off sucks, i eventually went to a top post battery there. there is a cross over pipe that runs from the drivers side manifold to the turbo, that thing is in the way of just about everything, the fuel pump, the bottom coolant hose, and numerous other things i would like to get to but can't with out pulling it.

All that headache fades away when i drive it. I love the mileage Ive gotten 21 mpg with a leaky injector. The power is great for most 4 wheeling i do, its smooth, easy to control, it has gobs of the right kind of torque right off idle, which can make anyone a hero in technical sections. the only place i wish it had more power was hill climbs, but keep in mind this is from the mouth of a 20 year old who also rides dirtbikes, so if i had to guess its great for most people. I also like having the unique and cool factor, i always get asked about it which seems to have been a good way to meet others like us.

so bottom line, its far from perfect, but overall its worth it.

--Scott

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think my 6.2L NA has great power for hill climbs... but my truck is also geared for towing with 4.10's and 33" tires. And all that torque is available at lower RPM's compared to a small block. The turbo would only help out once you get it spooled up.

9. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nope. I've pegged the 15 psi boost gauge more than once, but I don't make a habit of hammering down on it. :D